Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong song plays in Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply

Givnstar

Givnstar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I have been attempting to add albums to Windows Media Player 11. I reformatted my computer the other day and upgraded WMP last night to 11. I started adding albums and most of them play correctly, but now when I add an album and double click a song, a song from a completely different album will play. I uninstalled WMP, reinstalled, deleted temp files, read everything I could on the internet but this question, when addressed, has not been answered that I can see. I can not find a way to direct the song name to the correct file.

I'm ready to toss WMP, and I used to really enjoy it.

I would appreciate any help before I uninstall everything and revert to singing my own music. (The world would thank you if you prevented this)

Advertisements

Givnstar

Givnstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I did.. several times. And no, shuffle is not on. :)

Givnstar

Givnstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, they're in WMA format. The others play fine, but the ones I try to add now play incorrectly. When you check "properties" they are linked to the previous albums. I converted the CD I had that was disassociated, but it still did not play when double clicked, you had to right click and select "Play"

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to uninstall WMP 11.0 in Add/Remove programs. This will roll you back to WMP.10. See how it works. There are many problems of different nature with WMP 11.0/

Givnstar

Givnstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've already re ripped the songs back to my library. I've even gone so far as to sys restore back to when I only had windows 10, before I touched windows 11 update.

Can you please tell me how to manually define the location of each file? It looks like I'll have to do that for everything I install from now on for some reason. If I stay with Windows Media player.

Thank you!

Givnstar

Givnstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I agree and thank you both! I will try to roll back to 10 and if that doesn't fix it, I'll try a different program. It's a shame WMP 11 is so buggy, but oh well. I'm playing with Media Monkey right now. So far it's not interfering with my needs. We'll see.

Thanks again!

babygenius55

babygenius55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK, a few things:
1. I've been having the same problem.
2. You shouldn't have to roll back anything.
3. This version of Windows just has intrinsic issues.

To continue, I'm not certain if the original poster was explaining it properly, or I am misunderstanding it, but-
When you allow WMP 11 to play through music (shuffle or straight, or just go to certain songs) every once in a while a completely different song will play while showing the the song you picked is playing (which it is not, hence this topic), and sometimes it will do that even if you restart the program. I have noticed that it seems to play whatever song is next in the playlist que. It's just annoying.

Also, if you are aware of this, and try to manually get the file to play (via WMP 11) from it's home location some weird error will pop up about a server or some such.

Edited by babygenius55, 16 October 2010 - 08:52 AM.