Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't login to Windows after malware removal

• Please log in to reply

td323i

td323i

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
http://www.geekstogo...er-t200358.html

I was instructed to post my issue in this forum by Rorschach112.

Windows XP Mediacenter Edition sp2 was/infected with some malware, and during the removal process i rebooted the computer, and when i login, the desktop flashes for a second then immediately logs back off and brings me to the login screen. This happens with all account in "normal" mode. When i boot into safe mode everything operates fine. I tried "last known good configuration" and that didn't work. I hane not tried a system restore yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Td

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello td323i

What I would like you to try is to create a new account for testing, please follow my instructions on how to do this.

Since you are unable to do this in normal mode we will need to do this in safe mode to enter safe mode boot up your computer and tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. When in safemode please goto user accounts and create a new account

Reboot your computer and try logging into your new account and let us know if you still get the problem :)

Regards

td323i

td323i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi,
A test account behaves the same way. Logs in then out. You think a system restore would work? I can restore it back to before the walware removal.

Thanks
Td

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello td323i and thanks for your reply.

Please do not do a system restore at the moment as if you do it may restore the malware and we do not want this to happen :) however please read my post which is located here and please tell us how you get along.

Regards

td323i

td323i

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi Wizzy,
So i should do a repair install?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks for your reply td323i

Thats correct and I would reccomend this for many reasons

• This will sort out almost any problems with user account
  • You won't lose any data
  • You don't need to re-install everything :)

Before you do this I would like to say backup all possible data, the reason I am saying to do this now is because if the repair fails then the only other way is to format and start again :) I have tried the most common solutions that work for me such as

• Test accounts
  • Repair Installation

However do not worry at the moment as a repair should get you backup and running :)

Regards