Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Update

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok guys;

I did that automatic updates and had them installed. Is there anything else I need to do?

As I'm not sure when I will get back on here, I would like to ask these questions now and you can answer them when you get time.

I did as you said about deleting a few files at a time off the E drive. There are two files I can't delete...it says access denied...Flash9f.ocx and FlashUtil9f. Any suggestions on these two? Also on this same subject, how do I get rid of the second option of the os at start up? I go to start the computer and it gives that other option of the E drive.

Another question as I can think of is, how do I stop certian programs from starting up at start up? I would rather start them manually. I've been to start/programs/startup, but nothing is there.

And to be quite honest, I can't think of anything else I need at this point. Hopefully if there is anything else, you guys will think of it. So am I out of the woods yet, or is there more?

You guys have been great! I wish there were something I could do for you. I hate getting help and not being able to respond in kind.
So I'll check back a bit later and see what you've posted.
Jay

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like you're just about there...

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties...click the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, here you go wannab1

Will this tell you how to get rid of flash and the second os?

I guess it really doesn't matter, I wouldn't understand it anyway.

How come I don't see the file it was supposed to have sent?

Ok, it said I wasn't allowed to send that type of file.
How else should I go about it?

Edited by woodworks, 07 June 2008 - 02:11 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Will this work for you?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery, and then click Settings.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.
this is where you delete the line
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

make sure its the partition(2) that you delete

4. Save your changes, and then click OK.
5. Click Start, click Run, and then type msconfig to start the System Configuration utility.
6. Click the Boot.ini tab.

it should look like this...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

then right click on my computer...manage...double click storage...
double click disk management
you will see all your hard drives listed there..right click on the drive that contained the second install you no longer want...click on format...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday...we had severe thunder storms here and I thought it prudent to leave my machines in the OFF mode. :)

To remove the prompt to choose your operating system at startup, remove the text shown in red below, click "File" on the toolbar, and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

======================

As happyrck seems to have the faster fingers this morning....follow his suggestion to format the partition the second Windows directory was installed to.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok guys, here's what happened:

I went and did what you both said to do, and let me interject here, thank you for agreeing and telling me to do the same thing, it makes my job so much easier.

Well anyway, it worked. Now I'm not sure how you guys figured out that thats what I needed, but I gotta tell you both, A Job Well Done!!!

To be honest, I'm a bit saddened that this is over. I have been looking forward to coming in here and talking with you guys. Now don't worry, I do have other things I could be doing and of course now that your finished with me, I'll have to go do them. Unless of course, I do have a motorcycle that I could use some help with. If the two of you are interested just let me know.

And don't think I forgot about wizzy2k5. You started this thing out with me and I want to thank you also. You kind of got over your head, but I have no doubts that that isn't for too long.

If anyone can think of anything else, please let me know. Not that I'm looking forward to having to use you guys again, but I'm thankful that I have a good place to come to if I do need help (which may be sooner then I want or think).

And remember, if you are interested in helping on the bike, I'd love to have the help.

Thank you again to all of you. I'll stop in once in a while just to say hello.

Edited by woodworks, 08 June 2008 - 04:50 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
A question that didn't get answered.

How do I get things to not start up when I start up the computer? I've been to the start/programs/startup and that is empty.
There are different programs that I would rather start manually.

Thanks again guys.