Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

locked out by activation window

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Just for your information, you may have to press the Delete instead of F8 to enter Bios. (to change the boot order).
Some of the older machines did not use F8, if you will tell me the make and model I will try to find out which key is used to enter set up.
You are trying to do things the proper way so Wannabe1's advice to instal an OEM version of XP home is your best choice, once you can change the boot order.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Can you boot from cd on that machine? Why not just put the ME cd in and let it boot and start the install? It doesn't need windows to do that.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If the boot menu is set to boot from the HDD first, than the unactivated windows will load.
The boot menu needs to be set for the CD/DVD to boot first so that the disc will load and not the unactivated windows.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Can you boot from cd on that machine? Why not just put the ME cd in and let it boot and start the install? It doesn't need windows to do that.

The Windows ME cd is not a bootable cd...the installation must be started in DOS.

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thank you for your help. I will send the link to my sister and get her to download it for me. As i said this will take a few days. I will be back in touch when i am ready to go

cheers
Moyra

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi , Another thing you can do is remove the hard drive from your son computer and place it in your computer as a slave drive at which time you can reformated on your computer , once its been formated place it back on your son computer and start the Windows me installation

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
thanks snooker
sounds like a plan but i dont think i am that computer savvy. i have installed ram and dvd burners but i dont think i could attempt the hard drive
thanks for you suggestion anyway
moyra

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Wannabe

i am finally back but i have bad news. a friend was here and said he could go to fdisc and do what needed to be done without bothering you. well i had three boot discs and now i have one which is a windows 98 ome boot disc. i think my friend managed to re format the floppy instead of the hard drive ???? i dont know. i have the legal program of windows me ready to go. Can you still help me.