Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP machine won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Paulh7436

Paulh7436

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a XP Pro desktop computer that had two hard drives but booted from the c: drive. I removed the extra drive and removed the jumpers on the c:. The system worked fine with both drives. When I try to boot it just beeps - no display. I have plugged the monitor into my laptop and that is fine. I hear and feel the c: drive spinning at power up. Apparently it is not set to boot from the cd drive. Any suggestions of how I can get it to boot from the Seagate install disk or my XP bot cd? Someone suggested reflashing the BIOS but I have no experience with that.

Advertisements

FranDavey

FranDavey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Paul,

Check your cable connection. It sounds like the power connection is fine. Do you have any experience at all going into CMOS? Do you have a manual that came with the motherboard or system? If not, and you know the manufacturer of your motherboard, you should be able to go to their web site and view the BIOS utility documentation. That will tell you how to set boot disk priority. You will also be able to tell if the motherboard is detecting your hard drive. The number of beeps at boot-up during power on self-test (POST) relates to a status or error code depending on the motherboard. That can help you further diagnose the problem.