Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tested most components and still no boot up. Please help!

• Please log in to reply

acoustic5679

acoustic5679

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My build was done last year...

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4300

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop

I first starting having problems my not power up. I turn it off from the switch on the PS and try turingit on again and it would take a couple times before it would boot up and turn on. then after a week of that it finally wouldn't boot up at all. It seemed that the PS was only powering the fans, so I bought a new PS to test it out. Unfortunatley I live in a small area and the only store was a radio shack that had a 2 power supplies, but didn't have one that had a PCI-E plug to test out my GTS video card. I bought it anyway thinking I could use my friends video card that does not need an additional plug in from the PS. I got my computer up and running with my buds video card and the new pwoer supply, but I was getting a long beep from the mobo which in the past has been a memory problem for me(my mobo is very finicky about how the sticks are installed) I took 2 of the 4 sticks and it booted up fine so it seemed to be a problem with the actual slots which were the two together closest to the edge of the mobo. Now my computer is not booting at all no matter which slots I have and its not giving me any beeps.

I have ruled out the following...

Memory - all sticks worked fine in another computer

Harddrives - same as above

Power supply (old one) - obviously doesn't work because it will not power up my hardives or video card, but the newer (test) PS does power the harddrives. too bad because I actually spent more purposly on that component when I did my build...

Video card - I can't rule it out because I have no PS available that has PCI-E plugs. My computer is not working with my friends working video card so I do not suspect my 8800 gts is dead.

This leaves the Mobo or the processor and the Power supply. Can anyone suggest anything else? If I buy a new mobo can I just plug in my system drive and all my original componets that work and not have to reinstall everything?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Sounds like the motherboard to me though it could be the processor or even that you were not able to get a proper power supply.... and the only way you'd have much chance of it just coming back is if you get an identical motherboard to the one you have...

or at least one very close ( same chipset and same on-board devices )

acoustic5679

acoustic5679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
by coming back you mean getting my system drive to boot up in the new mobo right?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yep. If it's windows xp ( and I think vista is the same ) if you change too much you need to reinstall... that's why you can't take a harddrive from one computer and move it to another and still boot from that drive... the computers need to be almost identical...

acoustic5679

acoustic5679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So I got my power supply back. That was part of the problem, but my BIOS is still not powering up. At least the new power supply is powering all components now. The old one was obviously broken because my fan on the video carrd wasn't even turning. Now everything seems to be powering on, but BIOS still will not load and no signal from the monitor. I tried taking the battery out of the mobo and putting it back in after a minute, but still no luck. Is taking the battery out the same as reseting the CMOS? because I have a CMOS reset thing on my mobo, but I do not know how to short it.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yeah if you take the battery out for 5 or so minutes that should be the same as a reset.... from what you described I'd say your video card or very possibly your motherboard is dead....

acoustic5679

acoustic5679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I only took it out for about 30 seconds. I will take it out again and leave it out for 5. I will also try my video card in another computer.

acoustic5679

acoustic5679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So I was able to reset the cmos with a jumper and had no success. I tried the video card out in another machine and it worked fine. So, that leaves the mobo or processor I guess.