Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry help

• Please log in to reply

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you in advance for the help. I am going to be selling one of my comps and just wanted to know the best way to clean the registry? I did regedit and there are a ton of listings in there that are no longer installed on my pc. How can I remove these and clean the registry? Is it ok to delete them in regedit if you see a program file that is no longer in use or installed? Thanks again for any help or advice..

Edited by chrisw1100, 05 June 2008 - 12:50 PM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Thank you in advance for the help. I am going to be selling one of my comps and just wanted to know the best way to clean the registry?

Hello chrisw1100 and welcome to Geeks To Go

Unfortuantly here at geeks to go we do not condone registry cleaners as cleaning the registry can be a dangerous task and you would not notice any performance by doing this, here is a quote I got from sari

In general, we do not condone the use of registry cleaners. They can be extremely dangerous, especially in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Deleting the wrong entries can render a PC unusable, and none of us want to be in the position of helping a user recover from that. There is also no evidence that cleaning out the registry has any effect on the overall speed of a PC. It will speed up searches within the registry, but that has no effect on performance.

I'm going to offer some links to additional reading about this topic.

Miekiemoes, who is an expert here and many other places, has an excellent blog here.

This is an excellent summary at WTT. The entire thread is worth reading (it was started in 2005, but is still relevant), but that post is especially worthwhile.

Also there is a similar topic which is here

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 05 June 2008 - 12:59 PM.