Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble with Widows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply

sodamachine

sodamachine

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been trying to play some audio files (*.mp3) and some video files (*.avi, *.mpg, & *.wmv) and Media Player keeps crashing on me. If I let something play for more then 5 seconds I get the "Windows Media Player encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message. I tried to reinstall Media Player 11. When I tried to do that it did install all the way, but during the installation I got a couple of errors and one of them was the DrWatson Portmortem Debugger has an encountered an error.

I would like to watch clips and listen to audio files on my computer but I don't know what is created this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help fix this problem?

Here are the specs of the computer:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (with all current updates)
ATI Radeon x1950 Pro
AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Gigabyte Motherboard
(2) 1GB sticks of 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

NOD32 Antivirus, COMODO Firewall Pro, Spybot and Adaware (all currently Updated)

Belkin Wireless G Router (main computer plugged straight into not using the wireless)

Also here is a HijackTHis log file in case it helps (I tend to see it often around these forums)

Edited by kahdah, 05 June 2008 - 06:21 PM.
Removed HJthis log

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Remove WMP 11.0 in Add/Remove programs. This will roll you back to the previous version that was running on your computer. There are lots of problems with WMP 11.0.

sodamachine

sodamachine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Uninstalling the 2 parts to Media player 11 in Add/Remove programs restarting after each one, and then installing Media Player 10 seems to have helped. I got an error trying to installing it. The error has something to do with needing a Service Pack 3 CD to have the correct files but i hit cancel and it continued on installing it with out a problem. Ran a couple of .mp3 files and it seemed good to go.

I don't understand why after having media player 11 installed since it came out that all of a sudden that it would just stop working correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Would there be anyway to try and get Media Player 11 working again properly though?