Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

save windows xp

• Please log in to reply

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
its worth signing

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

read this interesting topic

http://forums.pcpits...howtopic=157517

Edited by Mr Freeze, 06 June 2008 - 12:39 AM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Very interesting indeed.

Like in the article linux has became very popular and I can see linux going along way but I was shocked to see that plans were in place to stop selling oem xp's, I mean its like the best operating system in my mind and everything just works :)

If it did come to it and sales of xp did stop I would never go over to Windows Vista as I can't stand it :) this is just my own opinion mind :) instead I would just install a version of linux :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I was shocked to see that plans were in place to stop selling oem xp's, I mean its like the best operating system in my mind and everything just works :)

Why are you shocked? This has been common knowledge for months.

If it did come to it and sales of xp did stop I would never go over to Windows Vista as I can't stand it :) this is just my own opinion mind :) instead I would just install a version of linux :)

Just because XP isn't going to be available any more doesn't mean your copy of XP is going to stop working. Retail XP is a perpetual licence - you can use it forever and a day as long as its only tied to one computer. OEM generally die with the computer but if it lasts long enough there's nothing to stop it also lasting forever and a day.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Neil Jones

The reason why i'm shocked is I have just found this out today :) I don't read up alot on operating system except the odd little bit so this is new news for me :)

Just because XP isn't going to be available any more doesn't mean your copy of XP is going to stop working. Retail XP is a perpetual licence - you can use it forever and a day as long as its only tied to one computer. OEM generally die with the computer but if it lasts long enough there's nothing to stop it also lasting forever and a day

I know my XP won't stop working :) I was just surprised when I read this article :) even if they stopped the oem versions from selling any ideas how long the retail ones will keep selling as I know most big retail stores are now selling Vista.

Cheers

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
windows xp wont be sold forever its not meant to be. Vista will take its place weather you like it or not. I doubt the pettion will even work

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Hello Neil Jones

The reason why i'm shocked is I have just found this out today :) I don't read up alot on operating system except the odd little bit so this is new news for me :)

Just because XP isn't going to be available any more doesn't mean your copy of XP is going to stop working. Retail XP is a perpetual licence - you can use it forever and a day as long as its only tied to one computer. OEM generally die with the computer but if it lasts long enough there's nothing to stop it also lasting forever and a day

I know my XP won't stop working :) I was just surprised when I read this article :) even if they stopped the oem versions from selling any ideas how long the retail ones will keep selling as I know most big retail stores are now selling Vista.

Cheers

i believe they will continue to sell till november 2008(retail ones) oem stops in june 30 2008