Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

looking for a registry cleaner

• Please log in to reply

Hkimle

Hkimle

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
my computer is running really slow these days. i search on the Internet and it says that maybe because of the registry has so many junks. can anyone tell me some of the free registry cleaner on the Internet where i can download to clean my computer? thx a lot

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

It's not really recommended to "clean" out your registry. There are many reasons why a computer could be slowing down. I would highly suggest running ATF Cleaner. This will clean out a lot of temporary and un-needed files on your computer.

After that, when was the last time you defragmented your hard drive? I recommend running Jkdefrag, the link is in my signature.

Post back after that, and let us know if you've noticed any improvement.

Cheers

Troy

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i'm sucked at computer ^^"" i just know how to use it and don't know much about the defragment thingy. i guess i've never made a defragment my hard drive before until you told me to do so with Jkdefrag.

last night, i did do the disk clean up and it cleaned up for me about 4GB of the hard drive. such an amazing number o_O after did wat u told me to, my computer really did run faster a little bit ^^ thanks :)

i have 1 more question: i installed this online game last year and kinda feel bored playing it about 2 months ago. in that 2 months, i install other games but then feel bored and uninstall them, i did about 5~6 times like that. now i want to play that game again but after logging in, i can just play for about 10 mins then it starts lagging and can't move. before i don't have this problem. i don't know y this becomes like this. i've already uninstall and install again 2 times but it still has the same results. do u have any suggestion about this?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Glad to hear things are running better. 4GB is a lot to clean out! :)

Did you get the defragmenter working? Here's a link to some instructions on how to get it to work, if you still can't get it, then I can help you by posting very explicit step-by-step instructions. A defragmented hard drive is one of many factors that could speed up your computer, if it's badly fragmented.

For your game, what is the name of the game? Is there an online FAQ for it? Any online support that you could contact? These may be viable options to consider. Have you tried uninstalling it, run ATF Cleaner, reboot your computer, and installing it again? Does the program install more than one option in the "Add / Remove Programs" Control Panel Applet? You may need to uninstall more than one thing before the reinstall works correctly.

This one game that you like to play, is it the only time your computer slows down and stops? Or does it do it with other similar programs (i.e. games) as well?

Cheers

Troy

Edited by troy, 08 June 2008 - 12:45 AM.

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i've already run the defragmenter u told me to use. i download the JkDefrag-3.34 one and run the JkDefrag in the folder after i extract the zip file. it opens a window and i just let it auto run for about 2~3 hours, when it says "finished", i close the window, that's it. if u want to text document report, i can post it here.

i've just checked back the game website and is contacting them for help. if it doesn't go to any where better, i think i could just uninstall it. anyways i already feel bored with it. maybe just wait for a better game comes out ^^ so don't need to worry much about that. i was just curious and asked you about that one problem. but i'll try to do wat u suggested to see if it could work better or not.

beside playing online games, my computer works fine. except when i watch online movies a lot, about 3~4 hours, it starts lagging a little bit while loading the movie but after that it works fine. maybe it's because my computer is old already, i've used it for 2 years ^^""

thanks for ur help and suggestions ^^

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Sounds good. Jkdefrag is an automatic program, as long as it's saying "finished", then it has completed the task and your disk(s) is now defragmented.

Glad I could help.

Troy :)