Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply issues!

• Please log in to reply

nilnats

nilnats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, im hoping someone can help me with this. I have built a computer with a centurion 5 case and a gigabyte motherboard. After i finished, i tried to turn on the power, but nothing happens!!! I first thought it was my power supply, but i bought a new one and that doesn't work either. Is the fan of the power supply supposed to turn on by itself? i mean if i just plug in the power supply to an outlet, should it do anything? please help!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do not plug a power supply into the mains and try to start it without a load on it. It will burn itself out.
Plugging a unit into the mains will not make a PSU power on. The only (accepted) trigger method is for a motherboard's power switch to be closed. If it should come on without a load do not use it.

Your symptoms can be caused by a variety of things - typically front panel connectors are wrong, power and reset are back to front, USB cables are wired up wrong (not normally an issue but a possibility) or the board isn't shielded properly (ensure that none of it is touching the back plate and that there are no stray standoffs).