Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copying Data to another Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I am trying to copy some data / pictures from hard drive in a computer that crashed (because of a virus I think) so I installed the hard drive (IDE)as a slave in another computer and it looks like its being recognized showing me local disk E and in it appears in the device manager and states its working properly. But I try and scan it it compleats a scan and then it says no files scanned and also I try and open it through Explore and it just keeps saying its not formated and do I want to format which I say no, from what I hear format erases everything?? I am not sure if that is correct? Also I look at properties and it says "0" Bytes for capacity and space used, file system says " RAW" as the regular disk says NTFS for file system ..So what do you think the problem is .. Thanks for the help ! In disk management through Adminstrative Tools it shows capacity 30 gig and free space 30Gig status healthy Both disks are Win XP

Edited by tpk0211, 08 June 2008 - 12:41 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will probably need to use a recovery software, because you have lost the drive partition information.

http://www.snapfiles...cinspector.html

I had some luck with the above software.

SRX660

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings tpk0211

Sorry to hear about your drive problems.

So what do you think the problem is

I am thinking that the file structure is corrupt or damaged on that second drive.

You may have to look into file recovery software to have some success getting anything off it. There are free and paid versions of this kind of software but I have no recomendation to give you at this time.

Google is your friend, do the research and check your budget.

Regards

Kaz

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Guys thanks for the reply I actually got it to work. I noticed that my master was set to CS I didn't know exactly what CS was at the time so didn't check at first but I changed my slave to CS and it recognized the drive and I scanned it and removed the virus so that part is done but now.... I have another question how do I go about unlocking the password ( I know what it is ) to get to the administrators files / folders I know I can put the drive right back into the computer where it came from but I think there are still issues with that I don't think it will boot up which brings me to my other question... This is a Compaq computer which didn't have recovery disks included you had to make them. Well when I loaded the drive there is a seperate recovery folder can I just copy that to a cd and use that as my recovery disk ? When I boot that computer now all I get is the fan revving so there is something else wrong and not sure if the recovery disk will help I replaced the PSU and battery that didn't do anything.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Is the BIOS showing at all on your compaq?

If it is then the cd that you burnt from the contents of the recovery folder probably WILL NOT BOOT as it wont have the boot record on the cd. You could Call Compaq to see if you can order a replacement Cd to reinstall the OS. Or make a bootable cd and put the contents of the recovery folder on the cd and go about it that way.

In reguards to your admin folder you want access to

On windows xp (pro should be the same as home not confirmed)

• open up my computer navigate to the folder you want to unlock
  • click on tools in the toolbar (file edit.....)
  • then click folder options
  • click on the labeled View
  • under advanced settings down near the bottom
  • you should see a checked check box called Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)
  • click okay, and close folder options

Dont stop yet, keep going

• now right click the administrator folder that you want access to and do the following
  • click on properties
  • You should see a new tab Security (Click it)
  • Since it is a foriegn drive to that windows xp install the users may be a bit garbeled but click advanced
  • In the new window click on Owner
  • Click on your username in the box called "Change Owner To:"
  • And check the box called "Replace owner on subcantainers and objects"
  • Click Apply
  • You May get a Security Warning Click okay and accept (or yes)
  • IMPORTANT CLOSE ALL THE PROPERTY WINDOWS !!!!
  • You and ONLY You will have access to this folder / sub-folders & files

To Add an additional user continue -- Recommended if intended to put the drive back in to the orginal computer WITHOUT reinstalling windows

Then restart process again

• now right click the administrator folder that you want access to and do the following
  • click on properties
  • You should see a new tab Security (Click it)
  • Click Advance again
  • You should see a new entry with your username in the name coloum
  • Click Add
  • in the Text area in the Select User or Group type Everyone
  • And Click okay a new window should open with permissions
  • Check the box under the allow coloum called Full Control
  • It Will auto check the other boxs under allow
  • Check The box called Apply these permissions.....
  • Click okay
  • Click okay again
  • Click okay on last time
  • Now ANY one will be able to access this folder

Hope that helps

tpk0211

tpk0211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Thanks for the reply the BIOS is not showing at all, I get a black screen, and the lights on the keyboard flash for a sec and that's it and the fan just revves. Orginially it did give me the windows screen but then I shut it down because I didn't have time to mess with in then, so I took off the case later and sprayed it with air and when I rebooted just the fan was revving and a blacjk screen. When I first got it to try an fix it it just I was told it just kept saying entering sleep mode and shuts down ( this is all from some virus ). So thats the background. I have not coped the recovery folder yet toa cd how do I make a bootable cd?...Thanks for the help