Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing software once for 2 OS's

• Please log in to reply

Anomaly

Anomaly

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Example: I have a dual boot of Vista and XP. Is it possible to, for example, set up a third partition, install a program to it, and have it run seamlessly under both Vista and XP? This is to save space by only installing the program in one spot, but running it from two different OS's. I know (or rather, I think...) the program files themselves would be fine, but I'm concerned about registry settings and stuff like that which the two OS's don't exchange with each other. I was thinking just install it in one OS, and install over the top of it in the second OS, so they're both using the same files, but each OS thinks it has it installed just for itself. Furthermore, would this (or another method if this one won't work) work in a dual boot of 32-bit and 64-bit OS's? (of course, assuming that the applications either are native 32-bit, or have code for both 32 and 64 bit environments)

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yes and no. It depends if the program does different things under Vista so far as setup goes that it doesn't do under XP, for example. You may find a program gets effectively tied to one installation and the installation on the other OS won't touch it. It would still need installing on both OS's though.