Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Block main computer from taking all the internet speed

• Please log in to reply

patdied

patdied

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Geeks,

Do you guys know how to block the main computer (that is attached to the router) from stealing all of the internet speed? On my wireless laptop, it usually very fast but when the main computer downloads it slows it down a lot. Is it even possible to set limitations?

Thanks guys

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Routers split the traffic speed between all the computers connected to it. Eventually the download speeds should even out equally amongst all the computers using the connection. Example, a 1Mb internet connection gives on average 120kb/sec download speed. If both computers download at the same rate, both should end up downloading at 60kb/sec.

Some routers have the ability to give priority to wired connections over wireless. Some don't and feed traffic equally on all fronts. Whether this is an option in your router I couldn't say without knowing the brand and model name.

patdied

patdied

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for your reply,

According to my friends, they said it the master computer gets the highest priority in internet download/upload speed. The master computer is wired to the router while the others are wireless.

Brand would be D-link, model name is DI-624.

Thanks again

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Out of the box most routers end up splitting the traffic equally between all the computers connected to it who want access. It has nothing to do with master computers or anything like that - in a corporate environment maybe so if data goes through one computer to get online but this doesn't apply in your case.

Having said that, having Googled the model, it would appear this router has issues with wireless connectivity anyway which may explain why you have the problems you do wireless. Also don't forget if the first computer is downloading your connection would be slower anyway, and vice-versa.

patdied

patdied

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Neil Jones, I fully understand now. At first I thought D-link was very fast and solid but then I figured it had a weak connection (which doesn't show in the stats); it was about as strong as a radio.