Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Windows Update - not working

• Please log in to reply

Greg86

Greg86

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
My Microsoft Windows Update is not working. When I check for updates I get an error message that says "The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Event Log." The error number is 0x8DDD0018. I have tried to make sure those services mentioned above are running by typing in services.msc into the RUN application. I do the steps it says but can't get the Startup Type to say AUTOMATIC. It says DISABLED and won't let me change it. I also cant change the Status tab to STARTED either.

Any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use the link below to Dial-A-Fix. Unzip and install the program. Click "Flush software distribution" and then click Go. Now check "fix windows updates" and click Go.

Greg86

Greg86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
An error occurred while running Dial-a-Fix.

Error - 2147023824 was encountered when trying to register C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll.
The error text is: The specified service has been marked for deletion. Dial-a-Fix currently has no suggestions for this error code. After the error message popped up I clicked OK and the program kept on running. There is still a red shield icon with an x for the Windows Security Alerts. When I click on it the Automatic Updates is turned off and I cant turn it back on.

I got to the Micrsoft Windows Update and it stared the process but another error showed up. It says the website has encounered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The Error number: 0x8024D007.

Edited by Greg86, 09 June 2008 - 10:52 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you run the two stages in suggested? If yes, at which one you had the error message. Please try again.

If not successful run dial-a-fix again, click the hammer icon at the bottom and mark "reinstall automatic updates service" and click Go.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is my best friend in solving Windows Update repair issues as it checks more than the Dial-A-Fix software:
http://software.hitoma.com/WURT/

Just download it, run it and answer the questions. When it asks if you want to reinstall IE6, say No.
Windows Update should now work.

Greg86

Greg86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The error mentioned above happened again when I ran Dial a Fix. It happened in the second step. I also clicked on the hammer and the instructions wanted me to restart my computer. when I restarted my computer two black windows popped up - one for C:\ msconfig.exe and the other C:\ctfmon.exe. My Microsoft Windows Update still doesn't work.

Greg86

Greg86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I still cant download any Microsoft updates. Everytime I try to download them it will say downloaded and installed and an error message will pop up. I tried to download Windows XP Service Pack 3 and it gave me an error message and also told me that I had 12 other updates remaining to install. I need help to get my windows update working again so I can install the updates.

Any help in fixing this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried Neil Jones suggestion?