Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton's Ghost & Partition 8 Installing

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I am running Windows XP and want to install Norton Ghost 2003. I only have one drive © cause my D drive are recovery folders. Do I need to partition my C drive to ghost my computer? If so where can I go to get a step by step description on partitioning? I can handle the ghost part its just the partitioning I am in question about. I have plenty of space. Also can I just ghost to a dvd or is the dvd to small? Any and all help is most deeply appreciated and God Bless. By the way, I have Partition 8 if thats what I have to use but how? I need this done as easy as possible. Jenny

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
While you can clone one partition to another on the same drive, its fruitless when the drive packs up because your image will go with it.
Far better and easier either to invest in a separate hard drive to go inside the computer or an external drive. Both offer benefits when the main drive packs up because you just clone it back. No need to worry about partitioning.

While you can do a Ghost straight to CD/DVD, I wouldn't particularly recommend it because I've never yet actually see it work properly. In fact I refuse point blank to use Norton Ghost's straight to DVD feature - I'll clone to another drive or I won't clone it at all.