Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp help and support does not work

• Please log in to reply

johnkwt

johnkwt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
when i click on help and support i get an error message that the helpctr.exe file cannot be found . i checked the c drive the file is there . then i try to start from c nothing happens,

any useful suggestions to fix without reinstalling windows. :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you installed in new "helper" programs recently or run a cleaner? Sometimes they take control of the same DLL files and cripple the normal Windows programs. Can you provide exact error code?

If you weren't getting an error, this would normally work: Repairs Windows® XP Help and Support after running Easy Cleaner

Related:

Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work
"Help and Support Error" - Service not started
helpctr.exe missing, sytem information tool wont start, dvd-rom and cd

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 09 June 2008 - 02:25 PM.

johnkwt

johnkwt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the error message i get is attached.

i downloaded the file and ran it but i get a note pad file with registry amemdments?

what to do :)

Attached Files

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
You might give this a try:

Method 1:
1/ Log on to your computer as Administrator

2/ Click Start button

3/ In the Start menu click Run

4/ In the Run dialogue box type %systemroot%\inf and click OK

5/ In the list of files that appear look for the PCHEALTH.inf file

6/ Right Click on this file and, from the drop down menu, select Install

7/ The Windows Help and Support Feature should now reinstall

Method 2:

* Click Start, click Run and type CMD, and click OK.
* In Command Prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each line: (Alternately, create a Batch file and run.)

net stop helpsvc
cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
rd packagestore /s /q
rd installedskus /s /q
cd binaries
start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
start /w helpsvc /register

Note: The “start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install" command line reinstalls Help and Support, which may take several minutes.

December15

December15

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried both the fixes listed; I'm getting "system error 1060" and "does not exist as an installed service" even though as with the user above I can find it in my C drive folder. Any help would be most appreciated!!

FWIW this is happening on an older Acer TravelMate 2300. I do have the restore CDs as well as a separate Seagate back up hard drive (that I find difficult to work with).

Thanks (hopefully)!

December

Edited by December15, 18 August 2009 - 06:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello December15.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get to quickly then.

Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is over a year old it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation. Please start your own topic and we can assist you better.

December15

December15

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you! I'm in no hurry, I'm grateful for any help I might get and thankfully this is an older laptop that I don't use often. I apologize for piggybacking my inquiry, I'll start a new topic now.

December

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get to quickly then.

Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is over a year old it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation. Please start your own topic and we can assist you better.