Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my eMachines W3609

• Please log in to reply

tmac2488

tmac2488

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I would like to get a new power supply to replace the OEM one. I was looking at getting atleast a 400 watt if not a 500 watt. Any suggestions as to what I should get?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Here's a nice choice.

Troy

tmac2488

tmac2488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks a bunch, another thing im not a hardcore gamer. I usually play WoW or something like that and I dont really have any problems with the ATI X1300 that I have in the computer what would you suggest as a upgrade thats not gonna break the bank. I just bout Assassian's Creed and the computer will play it but the cut scene are a lil delayed between the audio and the actually video...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

So you're looking to upgrade the graphics card also?

Troy

tmac2488

tmac2488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yeah i have an ATI X1300 and its ok but the frame rates to stay pretty low and i would actually like to play fear once since i spent $40 on it when it came out.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Bad news! Having a look at your system specifications, there's a lot you could change around to get your framerates up. By the time you'd finished with it, you may as well have purchased a whole new computer... :)

While upgrading the graphics card may be a good idea, it would be held back by the processor and RAM (a term we call a bottleneck). By the time you found out what upgrade options are available for these, the total sum would start getting very expensive.

Truthfully I wouldn't spend any money on this system - especially as eMachines computers are the worst budget system makers around...

If you are interested in any further help, or do wish to continue with the upgrading, then let me know.

Cheers

Troy

tmac2488

tmac2488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
the computer at the moment has a Celeron D 3.33ghz processor and has 2g of ram. so i know i can get a little more out of the system before having to buy a new one. im not asking to play every game on max setting but atleast be able to play it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

The specifications I found said only 512MB of RAM, so 2GB is better there... :)

The HD 3650 is a few notches up over your current X1300, it should give a decent upgrade. If you have more money to spend, you could consider a HD 3850.

Cheers

Troy