Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ventilating fan for a HP Pavilion 523n

• Please log in to reply

dcaporel

dcaporel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello everyone: I have an HP Pavilion 523n which has been working fine but it lost a blade on its ventilating fan and is now making a load "buzz". This is not the power supply fan or the processor fan, but a third fan mounted on the back wall of the computer below the power supply with a large white plastic housing that diverts the air from this fan towards the processor fan. This is why I call it a ventilating fan. HP says that my computer is too old (2002) for them to keep records on it so they do not have any parts for it or part numbers to offer. I've tried several online searches to no avail. the fan itself snaps into the housing so if I could find a fan that fits maybe I'd be okay. It measures 90mm X 90mm X 23mm. Any ideas? Or maybe because this is a third fan it's really overkill in cooling anyway and I could just do without it. What do you think? dcaporel

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
you should have the fan replaced. and any third party fan that is the same size should work even if you have to screw it in to the casse instead of snap on. but the same size should snap in. since it is used for ventalation it should be replaced as soon as possible.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Places to get 92 mm fans.

http://www.newegg.co.......p;x=17&y=34

http://www.directron.com/92mmfans.html

Just for your information, there are people that will take all you money and give you little back. Heres what you can find if you really need factory parts.

https://www.serversu...sp?q=252711-001

The fans themselves are exactly the same.

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sometimes these fans have snap on attachments that make them look non-standard, and some have non-standard connectors. Another thing that varies is the method of speed sensing in the speed controlled fans. I don't know where you are located but all these older machines get recycled all over the world and the good parts are reused. So try to find a computer recycling place, Google will be your friend.

PS: I had one of these and used it for a while, I seem to remember that the fan is just a standard one, you can buy them new. The motherboard on mine was an ASUS A7V-VM or VE, which is a version of the A7V133.

Edited by Tyger, 09 June 2008 - 07:33 PM.

Hummer70

Hummer70

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the exact same computer and exact same problem but fixed it as follows:
I just bedded my computer. Actually the wife's. It had a blade broke off the vent fan and made a terrible noise and vibrated so I got out the J-B weld and mixed up some and dobbed it on the hub where the blade was broke estimating the amount I put on was about the weight of the broken plastic blade. Then I found a 1" square piece of aluminum wraping for the house and trimmed it size of fan blade, roughed up bottom by a series of little cuts and when the J-B was starting to set I forced the new blade into it and went to town.

It cured about 8 hours and when I got home and put computer back together to my utter surprise there is no noise, no vibration and sounds like it did new! !! ! !

Just goes to show you J-B applied correctly can fix about anything haha.