Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32.Trojan.Yspy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Recovery Console asks to put the Windows XP cd in. I never got one as my computer was preloaded.

Also I have Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, HostsMan...I will not cause a problem by using the Spyad program combined with them?

I guess I had ERUNT on the older computer. not this one. I will download it.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, kelkay :)

You can install the Recovery Console with Combofix. I know I asked you to remove it, and I hope you did. Follow these steps to install the Recovery Console using Combofix.

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

Go to Microsoft's website => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
Select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. Download this file to your desktop, next to Combofix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now close all open windows and programs, then drag the setup package onto ComboFix.exe and drop it. Follow the prompts to start ComboFix and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Recovery Console. When completed, a log named CF_RC.txt will open. Please post the contents of that log.

When the Recovery Console is installed you will see a menu at startup where you can select your Windows Installation and the Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is an important tool and should be used by qualified users.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I am a bit confused by this. I have SP3. I have to redownload SP2 to get the recovery disks? Can I do that without deleting SP3? I will have to shut off all applications again like firewall, and av, malware etc...as before when I ran ComboFix? Will the Recovery Console be downloaded just to my computer, or will I need to put it on disks? I ran out of regular cd's. I will wait to hear your answer before doing anything. I downloaded the ComboFix to the desktop.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

I am a bit confused by this. I have SP3. I have to redownload SP2 to get the recovery disks? Can I do that without deleting SP3? I will have to shut off all applications again like firewall, and av, malware etc...as before when I ran ComboFix? Will the Recovery Console be downloaded just to my computer, or will I need to put it on disks? I ran out of regular cd's. I will wait to hear your answer before doing anything. I downloaded the ComboFix to the desktop.

That has nothing to do with your service pack. All you are downloading are the files needed to install the Recovery Console.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Post 348 had multi questions. I would like to know the answers before I do this, so I don't mess up. Thanks. :-)

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Post 348 had multi questions. I would like to know the answers before I do this, so I don't mess up. Thanks. :-)

I don't know what else to say. The Setup Disk for SP2 will install the Recovery Console without affecting SP3.

Search the computer for this file:

cmdcons

If found, let me know its location.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
comdons2.reg and comdons3.reg are both are under C:\HP\bin both say registration entries from 2003, which is before I got my computer. I did update to the SP2, before I updated to SP3. I guess my SP2 was deleted, cause I do not see it in add/remove programs. I am lost when you say the setup disk for SP2...SP2 was not on my computer when I bought it. You mean the SP2 update file? I do not know what disk you are talking about.

I did not have a comdons 1, or just plain comdons in my search.

Edited by kelkay, 29 July 2008 - 11:55 AM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, kelkay :)

1. It isn't comdons but cmdcons.

2. The setup disks files referred to, are the ones included in the Windows XP Installation CD. You wont be downloading the entire Installation CD, but that part that responds to the Recovery Console.

3. In regard to SP2, when you download and install SP3, these are backed-up during the installation of SP3, in case you needed to know.

I can't spend more time on this. The Recovery Console is an optional install. If you want to ask me if I recommend its installation, the answer is Yes. Did you receive the correct instructions? The answer is yes. It is now up to you.

Thanks for understanding.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
:) Oh my I see...I typed it in right in search, that is just what the search program brought up. So there is no file named cmdcon.

I will consider this thread closed, and thank you so much for your help. You have been wonderful.
:)