Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost everything

• Please log in to reply

Helpak

Helpak

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last week, we started getting pop ups & tried to delete them. Norton kept saying files were infected. Nothing worked, then downloaded Adaware. Still didn't help. I'm not sure what happened after that, but at some point, we lost everything. We rebooted, and the computer asked for user name, etc. as if we had just bought the computer & all of our files, new software, etc. was gone. Tried to do a system resotre, but still nothing. Is there no way to recover the information off the hard drive? We tried some programs like PC Inspector, but either I didn't know how to use it, or everything is truly gone. I am thinking about taking it to Best Buy today (against my better judgement). Do you have any suggestions? Please help!!!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Did you do a system recovery?
Some computers have an F key that will run a recovery, and set everything back to factory settings.
Do you have Norton Go Back?
Best buy would charge an arm and a leg to recover your DATA, do you know how to take the hard drive out and hook it up as a secondary drive on another machine?

Helpak

Helpak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not sure how it happened. We don't have Norton Go Back. I bought an external hard drive yesterday, and I think we are going to be able to recover some things through PC Inspector. I'm not sure yet what condition it will be in.

What do you think about the Highjack This log? Does it look like we have anything?