Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Silly HP Wireless Assistant!

• Please log in to reply

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
My mother's husband has a HP Compaq nx7400 notebook computer. He had a wireless network set up in his home with a Netgear wireless router. Suddenly recently... he gets no connectivity unless he was sitting 2 feet away from he router and it says "linksys" not netgear (So it must be connected to a neighbors network or something... and wont let me get rid of it) and in the "Show Wireless Networks in Rage" there was no connection but it said another program may be handling wireless connections. I figured the router was just going crazy. So we ran to best buy and bought one of those sleek new linksys wireless G routers. Took it home... set it up... same thing. Very Low signal sitting 2 feet away. After an hour on hold with linksys, the technician told me to move 7 feet from the router. I did so... and as I sat down in the hallway... holding the laptop in both hands, and the the phone to my ear with my shoulder, my chin decides to hang up my cell phone. So, I call right back. Another 55 minutes later I'm back talking to a technician, and he informs me... that with built in wireless cards like the one in my machine, automatically stores wireless connections and will not let you delete them. So they told me they were of no help. They told me to call HP and ask them how to remove the tool or how to use the tool. By this time it was 11:45pm and I just gave up after 15 mins. on the phone with HP. I took his notebook home with me to try and work it out.

Hopefully one of you many geniuses could help me out.

I basically want to know if just going to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling "HP Wireless Assistant" will help me be able to delete all wireless connections and let me connect to the proper one. For some reason I think I used the wireless wizard on all other networks I've set up. Where it asks for SSID, WEP code, etc., but I saw nothing of the sort. It would just tell me "Your network should be properly configured".

Much thanks, if I can supply any more information to help you guys solve this I'll be happy to.

-Scrilla

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

there was no connection but it said another program may be handling wireless connections.

was this in the HP wireless doodad? if so... look in the task bar (bottom right corner next to the clock) is there an icon there an icon there that looks like a little computer screen with some ))) next to it? if so does it have a red X on it or no? hover over it with your mouse does it give you connection info? if so right click it and choose view available networks....does that window show your router?

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
No this was in the "Show Availabe Wireless Networks" Through window Network Connections.

The HP Wireless Assistant just shows the one crap connection and only gives me the option "Turn all off" Which disables the wireless card (which then provides the red X).

Edited by Scrilla, 10 June 2008 - 02:33 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Is it running XP or Vista?

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
XP Pro on the notebook and XP Home on the desktop.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Go to your control panel | Network Connections | right click on the wireless connection and select 'Properties'. Click on the 'Wireless Networks' tab and make sure the 'Use windows to configure...' checkbox is checked. You should now be able to add and delete your wireless connections here.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
There is no "Wireless Networks" tab. There is only "General" and "Advanced"

And there is no tick box or any text saying "Use windows to configure..."

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Apparently your wireless network driver doesn't fully support windows zero configuration then. I would suggest trying to download an updated driver for your wireless card - the problem isn't with your router I don't think, but with the wireless card. You could also try disabling the built-in wireless and trying a USB card.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
The hp wireless assisant is ok to use.
have a look at this
Click on me
Plug you computer in via cable 1st and this will run some test for you.
Cheers
Peterm

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you so much perterm.
I will be able to bring the notebook to his house tomorrow, this is one of the few things from HP that looks promising. I will update my findings as soon as possible.

PS: I have already downloaded the most recent drivers to no avail.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I do not think it is drivers
If the site does not work then we will go back to the basics.
Cheers
Peterm

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sorry for the delay. I've been really busy. Please bear with me.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
no hurry
when ever you are ready