Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to disguise your email address

• Please log in to reply

larrydonline

larrydonline

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've come across advice like this that I found on Microsoft's website today, many times in the past:

"Disguise your e-mail address when you post it to a newsgroup, chat room, bulletin board, or other public Web page-for example, SairajUdin AT example DOT com. This way, a person can interpret your address, but the automated programs that spammers use often cannot."

But I've never figured out how to follow that advice. I post to several Yahoo groups using my real email address and consequently receive at least 100 spam messages daily. One time I tried changing my email with Yahoo but found that they send out the email messages for subscribers to that address, so I stopped getting my messages until I changed it back to my real email address.

The problem with subscribing using disposable addresses at Hotmail or Yahoo.com is that I don't want to have to go somewhere else to read my email. I like having them all come directly to my inbox in Windows Mail.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have my email address appear one way in the messages themselves that get posted to a group yet have the groups bot send them to my real email address?

Where the real email address shows up is not when a message I send is posted, but when someone replies to my message and uses the "quote message being replied to" feature in their own email program.

Thanks for any hints on how to deal with this.

Advertisements

hiloh2o

hiloh2o

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
firefox has a really great add-on for masking your email address.

https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/2650

This creates temporary email address. So when the time expires any emails that were sent to that address will not be forwarded. You can get emails from people and then after you have determined they are not spammers you can give them your correct address.

The advice you were given about writting your email address .... emailatemaildotcom only helps to stop mass listings. it dosnt mean that real people cant read it, interpret it and then add it to a list.

a really great article is here
http://office.micros...1194221033.aspx

Personally when i post or subscribe to anything I use one email address. anyone who is not in my address book will automatically go to my junk mail folder. then i will just browse over the folder and delete everything. This saves you from accidently opening a message and taking a risk of sending a 'sent reciept' and then your email address is known as a working email address.
Then i have a 'proffessional' email address that i give out to people who i know will not send my name to a list. co-workers or family or trusted senders. I dont have any junk mail filter on this account. But i NEVER use it on the internet. If a junk mail (i know anything that i didnt specifically send for is junk mail and they are fishing for an address) accidently slips in, I make sure to not open it.

I also use windows live mail as a mail client and I have both of my mails sent there so i can check both my 'junk box' and 'proffessional box' so i dont miss anything.

Hope this helps
Christy

larrydonline

larrydonline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, Christy. I'll try out some of your suggestions.