Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MOBO Died, took XP HD and replaced into a Vista box but nogo on some o

• Please log in to reply

Rabideen

Rabideen

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
MOBO died last week; ordered new machine with Vista. Placed XP HD into the new machine and I can see drive and access most files. However, a good number of them need to have permission granted individually.

Apparently, when I copied these files (My pics) to the C drive the link was broken (Kodak Easyshare term) so I have to go in and do a manual mapping of each file one at a time to the source to repair the broken link (it's not a permission issue but the fix is still a pain in the backside).

For the files on the F Drive (the old XP HD), I had to set security on each file individually and that is time consuming. I thought I'd go in and try granting myself global access to the entire drive; thusly:

In Explorer, right click the drive in question and select Properties

On the Security tab click Advanced
On the Owner tab
Select you account if it isn't already and
Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
Click Apply
Click OK (close all dialogs)

After it set the permissions on every file (took about 15 minutes or so), I hoped I could open all data files. Nope, I will still have to go in and manually set permission on hundreds if not thousands of individual files. Once I have the file unlocked I can open it with no problem. I manually reset over 200 today (about 45 minutes)

Problem is that the drive is XP and this system is running Vista. I don't have access to another XP machine that can create a bootable CD or DVD. I have Win 2000, Win 98 and an XP machine with the no DVD/CD burner.

Any ideas on what is causing the broken links?
Why are most of the files accessible but many are not?
Any idea on how to reclaim permission to the file other than manually setting permission on each individual file?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. I'm not an expert on this stuff. I just know enough to be totally inept.

Advertisements

Rabideen

Rabideen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Is this a very infrequent occurrence? I did a search and it appears no one has ever had an XP drive they tried to transfer to an Vista where the MOBO in the original machine died.

Is there a way to get help from Microsoft?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I know that there is a problem when upgrading from Xp to Vista. You may need to change permeation.
You posted that you installed the data on a different hard drive so it was not an upgrade problem.
Try and take ownership of a file with some sub folders and not of the whole drive (f).

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Taking ownership is a bit different in Vista than XP. Heres the secret.

How to Add Take Ownership to the Context Menu in Vista

INFO: This will add Take Ownership to the Context (right click) menu for all folders and files in Vista, except Application files. The Application files, (EX: EXE, CMD, MSI), will still have Run as administrator instead when you right click on them. When you use Take Ownership on a folder, it will take ownership of all the files and subfolders within that folder to.

NOTE:
A) To manually take ownership of items in Vista, see: How to Take Ownership of a Item in Vista
B) To restore TrustedInstaller as the owner for a protected system resource, see: How to Restore TrustedInstaller as Owner of a File in Vista

WARNING: This needs to be done within an administrator account.

EXAMPLE: Before and After Context Menus
Before.jpgAfter.jpg

Here's How:
Through a Download:

1. To Add Take Ownership -
A) Add_Take_Ownership.reg < Click To Download

2. To Remove Take Ownership -
A) Remove_Take_Ownership.reg < Click To Download

3. Click on Save, and save the .reg file to the Desktop.
4. Right click the .reg (On Desktop) file and click Merge.
5. Click on the Run button for Security Warning pop-up.
6. Click on Continue (UAC), Yes, and then OK when prompted.
7. When done, you can delete the .reg file (On Desktop).

How to Use Take Ownership :
1. Right click on a folder or file.
NOTE:
A) Application files will still have Run as administrator instead. (EX: EXE, CMD, MSI)
B) When you use Take Ownership on a folder, it will take ownership of all the files and subfolders within that folder to.

2. Click on Take Ownership. (See Example at top)
3. Click Continue for UAC prompt.
4. You will see a command window pop-up and then go away when it's finished. (See example screenshot below)

Command_Window.jpg

5. The folder or file has been taken ownership of.
NOTE:
A) You can verify from METHOD TWO step 7 here: How to Take Ownership of a Item in Vista
B) It will have your username listed as the owner.

I copied the above from a html file to a text file so it only shows where pictures should be, and no links work.

If you need the reg file i have it and can email it to you. Otherwise you need to register at the Vista forums to get the reg file.

http://www.vistax64.com/

SRX660