Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed BIOS Update!

• Please log in to reply

Plies

Plies

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite a135-s7406. I have Windows Vista Premium Home on it, and I was trying to update the BIOS through Windows, when it froze up. Upon reboot, the screen stays black and nothing happens. I have extensively researched this already, and it appears I have to flash the BIOS somehow. This is a difficult task as the screen never goes on, and I have no floppy drive installed. However I found this website, explaining that apparently this is a common problem. I have a Phoenix BIOS and they created a tool for this exact problem called "Crisis Recovery Disk Tool" which I have, but apparently only works on Floppy Disks. I have all files needed already on a separate computer in my home, I just do not have a USB Floppy Drive, nor a diskette. I have, however, tried Boot/Flashing from a CD/DVD/USB Thumb Drive, all to no avail.

Here is the site I was speaking about. http://www.devhacks....res-what-you-do

Now I am only asking for help regarding trying to flash a BIOS from either a CD or a USB Thumb Drive. I can access FN + B to get into my "special mode" where it is suppose to read the floppy, but it never decides to read the USB Drive.

(However, when a CD is inside, the computer seems to read the CD-Rom Drive, for about 10 seconds before also shutting off.)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you enter the BIOS setup screen at all? You might need to go to the Toshiba site to find the way of getting into setup, it's generally somewhat tricky for laptops. I've seen USB floppy drives for a little as $20, but you may be able to borrow one. Also have you tried booting up any CDs or DVDs?

Also some machines have BIOS rollback procedures, check the site for you machine for that.

Edited by Tyger, 11 June 2008 - 11:35 AM.

Plies

Plies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No, once I push the Power Button, the Power light comes on, the "thinking light" (if u will) comes on for 3 seconds, and the computer seems to check the CD-ROM for a minute. Then nothing. No fans (if there is one on, it must barely be on), the computer just sites quietly like that until I force it to shut off. Nothing appears on the screen at all during this whole process. I used the Crisis Recovery Disk Tool to make a Bootable CD to correct this problem, also formatted my USB Thumb Drive using the same tool and placed the files on their hoping the computer would pick it up and read off of that, since its in the main USB plug.

As for the floppy drive, my only option would be to order one off ebay as Best Buy/Circuit City sells them for $40 as opposed to $10 on ebay. But I would like that to be my last option.

Is there any way to Flash the BIOS via Thumb Drive?

*If I push FN+B before pushing Power, the computer comes on in some sort of "different" mode. The Power light turns purple, the fan comes on loudly, and it seems to read the CD-ROM the same way. Ive tried having the bootable CDROM and/or the Thumb Drive on the computer during this mode, but nothing changes.