Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing primary user of the computer?

• Please log in to reply

e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've just inherited a computer at work from somebody else. All the IT guy did is change the profile name from "Bob" to "Josh". I'm able to log in as "Josh", but it bugs me that it still shows "Bob's Documents", and the default login is "Bob". How can I change everything to "Josh"? Thanks!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That's very simple. You probably need to be logged in as Administrator, then just make a new user named Josh and delete the old user Bob from the list of users. Of course save any files from Bob's folder to your's that you want.

e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks a lot, in the process of migrating now. now my only problems is all the mail i have stored in the previous account. since i'm taking over his position, i need all of his old correspondence. how can i transfer it all to my new account? thanks!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

thanks a lot, in the process of migrating now. now my only problems is all the mail i have stored in the previous account. since i'm taking over his position, i need all of his old correspondence. how can i transfer it all to my new account? thanks!

Export it from the old account and then import it into the same program on the new account.
Do this BEFORE you delete the account in User Accounts, otherwise it will purge everything, email and all.