Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many Questions About Windows Updates- going wacky!

• Please log in to reply

nuggets

nuggets

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Intro
There was a time when I had no room on my computer because of all the Windows Security Updates- so much so that a friend removed them all from my computer and my computer crashed big time. Good thing for the backup. :yes:

M concerns
I do not have any cds to reinstall Windows. The cds left with my exboyfriend. I do not want to buy a new version. So, if I mess up- there goes my computer. I am not even sure that I have a registered version of Windows anymore since my computer crash (mentioned above). This is why it is critical that I not mess up my revamped computer that has been super blessed by the computer fairies (I am not kidding!) and that I avoid the authentification process. :)

Q 1. What do I look for before installing a Windows Update/Security Update/Fix/Cummulative Update/etc.?
I have read the quick description of some of the Updates and decided that I don't need them. Obviously those that don't correspond to my version of Windows won't be installed, but what about the others? I started to follow the links of some of the updates that I did install, and quite frankly, I cannot understand anything! Seems that all you get are warnings- especially warnings for what the update may do to cause problems for your computer and what may happen if you then attempt to remove the update. :( Now what kind of incentive is that?

Q 2. What High-Priority Updates?
In your malware forum it is mentioned to install ALL High-Priority Security Updated from Windows & Service Pack 2. Well, I do not see any High-Prioriy Security Updates listed, so am I alright then? :)

Q. 3 Security Update vs. High-Priority Update?
Um. I don't see any. Will the update specifically say High-Priority? What about Critical? Do I ignore Security Update because it is just not labelled high enough? :)

Q. 4 Saved Updates on my computer- how to remove them all?
I decided that I had installed unnecessary Updates for Windows XP on my computer so I went to the Control Panel, then remove programs. I removed one of these updates, so I thought- great!- gone! But then I found that in the Windows folder in C: that there remains an uninstall folder for this update :) and also a log for this update. Um. I don't know what a spuninst is. What's a spuninst? Why didn't this uninstall version leave when I removed the update? I don't get it. Now what? :)

Q. 5 Will the Updates I do not want ever go away from the update list?
Kind of silly to have them when they do not apply to my computer. Don't cha think? :)

Q. 6 Do the Updates install automatically?
I have read comments that people cannot install the updates. I know that I am downloading them as they do appear as a listed update in the Control Panel's Add/Remove program folder. So, does this mean that they are running? That they have been installed? Don't tell me there was another step! :P

I know that these questions may not ever get a response from staff, but I hope they do! They address the second step in the malware list of things to do so they are important. At least address Q.2 and Q. 4. please! :wacko:

Edited by nuggets, 12 June 2008 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello nuggets...

The malware experts will need you to install at least SP2 before they can help you with any infections you might have. This will require a validation. If your Windows will validate, it's legal and there should be no problems in getting your machine running good again.

However, if your Windows will not pass the validation, we will not be able to assist you further until you have a validated Windows installation. We do not support illegal use of software.

High Priority and Critical updates are what you need at a minimum. These may address hardware issues, software issues, driver issues, etc...

Security Updates are those that address a machine's vulnerability to exploits that may allow others to manipulate your machine. These are particularly important these days. Some of the malware in the wild right now can turn a computer into a brick in pretty quick order.

spuninst is the Service Pack UNINSTaller package. These files are used in the installation and removal of service packs installed on your machine.

There are ways to hide updates from Windows Update on the Windows Update page...you will need to go there to make the adjustment. Use the "Custom" option rather than the "Express" option.

Updates can be installed automatically or you can have Windows prompt you before downloading and installing them. OR...you can turn off Automatic Update completely and get all your updates manually. We do not recommend turning the Automatic Update feature off.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Will your machine pass the Windows Validation?

wannabe1

nuggets

nuggets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Thank you for your quick response! :)

SP2
I already have SP2 on my computer and I did include this info in my specs. Is it not displaying under my profile anymore? Hum.... I forgot to add: Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Let me know if you need any more information.

Validation
I am concerned about checking the validation because I have heard that if the copy is not valid, then Microsoft will shut down the use of Windows on a computer. I had a legal copy on this computer, I just don't know if my friend reinstalled it or reinstalled another version, a copy of his, when my computer crashed. I really do not know. This computer was also a gift to me and belonged to my ex so it was registered to him. He gave it to me when he bought an entire new system. Is this the same thing as a copy not being genuine? I don't get it.

My machine seems to be running fine.
Before I updated to AVG 8.0, AVG had an MS-DOS Virus and 3 Trojan Horse Dialers in the vault. [By the way, I have no idea what to do when given the options: heal, fix, or put in vault.] When I removed AVG 7.5, removal didn't work when I selected the 2 boxes 'remove user settings' and 'include objects in the virus vault', so I uninstalled AVG 7.5 without the boxes checked. No scans with all the malware removers (Ad-Aware, AVG, SpyBot S&D, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, ZoneAlarm) have shown any virus or other malware. So where did this virus and dialers go?

SpyBot
I am having a problem when I run SpyBot- there is a problem with 2 of the trojan files, so I was thinking to uninstall and then reinstall the program.

'Problems in this file: Program Files\Spybot_Search Destroy\Includes\Trojans.sbi'
'Problems in this file: Program Files\Spybot_Search Destroy\Includes\TrojansC.sbi'
see: include errors.log for details

Well, I cannot find the errors.log for details.

One Critical Update
There is one Critical Update on my list and it has to do with Windows Firewall. Well, I am using ZoneAlarm as my firewall. I don't know if I should download it or not. Seems like I shouldn't but then Windows Firewall does recognize that ZoneAlarm is the Firewall, so I am unsure. :) Here are the details re. the update:

This update helps narrow the definition of the My network, or local subnet, restriction option in the Windows Firewall. This is helpful in situations where the Windows Firewall would consider a large network to be on the local subnet because of how the dial-up software configured the route tables. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Of course I have no idea what this means! Local subnet? Route tables? :)

What to download
From your post below then, you are saying that I should download the applicable Security Updates for Windows XP, as well as any High-Priority or Critical Updates. Okay.... :)

Uninstalling Updates
With the spuninst how do I use it to uninstall the software? Do I go into the spunist folder and then double click on the spunist.exe file?

Automatic Update
I won't go back to Windows Automatic Update. It literally took up all the space on my computer. I would rather pick and choose what to install because it seems that automatic update will download updates not relevant to what software is on my computer. For example, there is a new update for windows messenger- I don't use windows messenger.

Installing Updates
Once the updates are downloaded, do I need to do anything? or Once the update is installed, everything is already working?

Windows Update Page
Where can I find this? I looked on my computer in the control panel- is this what you mean? If yes, there is no option for a 'custom' or 'express' option. Hum...

Thank you so much for taking the time to address my questions wannabe1. I have had a lot of questions about Windows Updates since last year. :)

Edited by nuggets, 12 June 2008 - 09:48 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's explore the legal thing a little more. If you have SP2 on there and are still able to update, that would seem to indicate that your system is genuine and still in good standing with Microsoft.

Is your machine a brand name computer such as Dell, HP, Compaq, etc...? If it is, the operating system will be tied to the machine and your ex-boyfriend would not be able to use it legally...unless he had possession of the actual machine that product key was used on. Obviously, he does not.

Do you have a listing for "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" in the updates section of Add or Remove Programs?

Click Start, then Search. In the search Window, choose "All Files and Folders". In the "All or part of the name" field, type wga...then click on "More Advanced Options". Tick the boxes next to Search System Folders, Search Hidden Files and Folders, and Search Subfolders. Click "Search". Are there any results for this search?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You can go to Microsoft.com/genuine and on the right click on Validate Windows. If your copy isn't legal, then it will tell you about how to validate it and the benefits, but it wont shut down your computer from Windows.

nuggets

nuggets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you!
Thank you so much for your help, both of you! I really appreciate it.

Trouble replying to this post!
By the way, I just experienced a lot of trouble with logging in again. I was only able to reply to this post by going to this page through my profile. What is up with that? I log in, but then I have to keep reentering my username and password. Hum... So strange! Anyways, I am glad that I didn't give up!

Brand Name
:) You get to see how duh I can be! Do you mean the system manufacturer? What specifically should I be looking for and where?! I did take some notes about my computer one day and noted that the system manufacturer is TYAN. I cannot remember where I found this information on my computer. Or am I looking for processor information? It is an Intel Pentium III Processor. I think you mean the former. Unfortunately you'll have to be really specific with me, or I will be guessing!

Validation Tool
I do have the listing update for "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" but it is in the list of items to be downloaded! I have been ignoring it for fear that Windows may be shut down. I will not survive if that were to happen.

wga
I did the search for wga as you suggested and none were found.