Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy or build laptop

• Please log in to reply

Wolfenstein_3D

Wolfenstein_3D

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I took a trip to Europe for two weeks and before i left, i turned off all electronics and unplugged everything from the wall to save electricity. I get back and guess what, my computer works but i am unable to connect to the internet through the lunix router but i can get it through the comcast modem. So, i use my roomies computer and search the web and try and try to figure out the problem between work, school, and other activities. Well, i am unable to fix it and after a few days, my computer crashes. I can turn on my computer, but when it gets to the log in screen on Windows XP, my monitor turns off. So i took my monitor and plugged it into my friends pc, thinking monitor went back but it still worked. I took his monitor to my computer and still the same problem. So i turn up the sound volume to determine if it actually logs in when i type in my password, and amazingly it does. So, i dont know what to do or how to fix it.

Anyways, to the main subject. I have decided, through school and hopefully this new job, i need a laptop to play my computer games while home and on the road, weeks at a time. Now I basically have it figured out what i want in my laptop, im just not sure if i should buy it through a company, like dell, or if i should build it myself. Expenses being an immidate concern but not a huge issue.

Here is what i want in my laptop:
Processor: Intel Core Duo with 2.4GHz, looking at the T8300
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Hard Drive: 250GB 5400RPM
Videocard: 256MB Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT or better
Sound Card: Anything thats reasonable price for the quality (listen to lots of music, movies, and games, so needs to be decient)

Please give me your thoughts, questions, answers, concerns, whatever

Thanks

Advertisements

civicraider

civicraider

• Pip
  • 4 posts
go with mac super easy and a [bleep] of a lot more bank for your buck plus less buggy!!

Wolfenstein_3D

Wolfenstein_3D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yea but here is my problem, Im a PC guy. Ive used macs for about 6 months and i just didnt like them. Maybe it b/c ive always used PC's and am just to used to their style. I dont really know, im just not ment for mac!

civicraider

civicraider

• Pip
  • 4 posts
have always used PC but bought my wife a mac book pro and now i use it more than she does super duper easy compared to PC just different.