Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading Times, Onboard Speaker + Freezing Problems

• Please log in to reply

FortKnox

FortKnox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seem to be having multiple problems with my computer, some of which are (in chronological order of occurance):

1. Received a problem with one of my maxtor hard drives and its transfer speed was 2.9MB/s so i bought myself a new Western Digital SATA drive. but after that i found out that the original hard drive does work (tested on a different computer) and it was getting speeds of 51mb/s

2. Installed Windows XP Service Pack 3, It seemed fine for quite a while until i started receiving some freezing problems with my Windows Explorer Windows (Taskbar would work as i run windows in a seperate explorer.exe process) but if i tried to do Ctrl+Alt+Del when this happens it would not work, and if I tried to go to Start>My Computer or anything else like firefox i would receive a message saying "File Cannot Be Found or Accessed...Please Check Permission" something along those lines. But when the window would finally unfreeze everything would work.

3. Formatted and Went Back to Windows XP Service Pack 2, The freezing continued on for a while and eventually stopped for a few weeks but now last couple of days when i start my computer up it gets past the "loading personal settings" screen and just shows my desktop wallpaper, no taskbar, no icons, not even the hard drive light on the case is blinking, if i wait 10 minutes or so the light eventually blinks and my windows loads the taskbar and icons etc.

4. Also at the same time as the loading times it seems that for some reasons all popups, and alerts and backspaces etc are going through the onboard speaker in my case but when i play a video or audio file it plays in through my desktop speakers. I dont understand it.

I'm not sure what this could be. I am not sure if all these problems are related but it i am really starting to lose my patience we these problems. The drive that windows is on is 40gb on it own just for windows alone, i have used HD Tune to scan the hard drive and it comes up with no bad sectors and transfer speeds seem to be fine at about 51mb/s MAX.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

FortKnox

FortKnox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Could you please discard this message as I seem to have sorted out the Speaker and Loading times issue (3+4) reinstalled ZoneAlarm Security Suite and it works fine now.