Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Rebooting at Windows Loading

• Please log in to reply

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I have read many forum threads and nothing really seems to totally relate to me.

My basic Specs you may need to know

Chaintech CT-7NJL1 Mobo
1.5 gig ddr 3200 (Geil)
Amd 2400+
Win XP SP1

My problem is, I just bought another stick of the same exact ram (giving me a total of 1.5gigs) and when running all the ram at the correct speed (200mhz) I cant get into windows at all, it restarts at the loading screen everytime. I disable the software rebooting or whatever and I kept getting 0x00000024 or 0x000000F7 errors. I did Error checking my my hard drive, no errors or bad sectors. I have been in windows most of the day on the same machine running the ram at (133mhz). No problems whatsoever. I am leaning towards thinking its may be a power issue. I have a 300-350 watt PS, not really sure. Although, I do know its not over 350 watt. Any help would be grealy appreciated or if you just need more information, just respond.

Thank you

Edited by blaccdayz, 27 April 2005 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and if you remove the ram?

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

and if you remove the ram?

View Post

I can run just 2 sticks of the my ram at the correct speed, regardless if it the new one or not. Sorry, forgot to add that. Also, the 3-slot is fine too.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait, I am confused....

how many sticks total? 2 or 3

You are adding what kind of ram (make model speed, list capacity for each stick)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw, your memory is not supported by or tested on your motherboard

That doesn't mean it will not work, but chaintech does not list it among acceptable ram for your mobo

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

fwiw, your memory is not supported by or tested on your motherboard

That doesn't mean it will not work, but chaintech does not list it among acceptable ram for your mobo

View Post

its not acceptable to run it at dual channel speed, thats it.

Geil 3x512 ddr 3200

3x 512 at (133mhz) works fine
3x 512 at (200mhz) computer restarts when trying to get into Windows.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but if you place a stick in the third slot (slot 1 and 3), you automatically turn on DDR......do you have an option to turn it off somewhere?

?

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

but if you place a stick in the third slot (slot 1 and 3), you automatically turn on DDR......do you have an option to turn it off somewhere?

?

View Post

No, putting the ram in 1 and 3, automatically turns on Dual Channel. I cant do that with this ram, (I couldnt find a list of compatiable ram before I got the board) Although, Chaintech says, all ram works. Or at least the FAQ's say that. I just want to be able to run the ram at the right speed. Like I said, right now 1.5gigs are running fine at 133mhz.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but if you are running the ram in dual channel, which you are when you insert in slots 1 and 3, your ram is not supported at pc3200 in double data rate.

That's why you need to ratchet it down....

That's why it works in slot 1 and 2

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

but if you are running the ram in dual channel, which you are when you insert in slots 1 and 3, your ram is not supported at pc3200 in double data rate.

That's why you need to ratchet it down....
That's why it works in slot 1 and 2

View Post

I didnt have my original ram in slot 1 and 3, they were in 1 and 2 (at 200mhz). Now, that I bought a 3rd stick, I cant run them at 200mhz. Am I just a moron or what? Cause now, I am getting confused.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In 1 and 2, they will run at full speed, because slots 1 and 2 does not activate DDR.

As soon as you add a stick of ram to slot 3, you are turning on DDR.

:tazz: (we're just having the worst communication gap here)

Since your ram will not run at at its full speed in DDR mode, you need to turn it down to 133 to get it to function.

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

In 1 and 2, they will run at full speed, because slots 1 and 2 does not activate DDR.

As soon as you add a stick of ram to slot 3, you are turning on DDR.

;) (we're just having the worst communication gap here)

Since your ram will not run at at its full speed in DDR mode, you need to turn it down to 133 to get it to function.

View Post

darn, so nothing I can do. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing guaranteed to work...you could boost the voltage,perhaps, but then you risk other problems.

You tried at 166? Might work there...

Really, the extra 512mb compensates for slight reduction in speed. It sounds like a big difference between 133 and 200, but the real world difference is not worhth getting worked up over.

blaccdayz

blaccdayz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

nothing guaranteed to work...you could boost the voltage,perhaps, but then you risk other problems.

You tried at 166? Might work there...

Really, the extra 512mb compensates for slight reduction in speed.  It sounds like a big difference between 133 and 200, but the real world difference is not worhth getting worked up over.

View Post

Yea, I guess you are right. I was wanting to try 166mhz, but I didnt know how to set it like that. to set it at 200 mhz, I would just change to SPD in the bios, or for 133mhz put at AUTO or 100%. There is either 100%, 120%, 130%, 140%, 150%. 120% caused me to reset CMOS.

Edited by blaccdayz, 28 April 2005 - 12:07 PM.