Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply to mother board

• Please log in to reply

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello I recently posted a topic about a problem putting my first computer build together.
Here is a link http://www.geekstogo...em-t201360.html

My problem was the mother board was not posting. I sent a email to Gigabyte, the MB manufacturer, and the just responded today. They told me to try and connect a the 4 pin 12 atx connector to the MB as well as the 24 pin atx. They claimed that some CPU's need the two connectors. The problem is that my PSU does not have a 4 pin connector. I have a few 6 pin 12v PCI E connectors but no 4 pin 12 atx connectors.

Is my PSU not compatible with my MB?

I can not try anything now I returned my MB and I am waiting for a new one.

Advertisements

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I was surfing for some answers and found a similar topic on toms hardware. I guess there is a 8 plug connector that is 2x4 pins.

Any feed back if this was my problem?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you don't have a 4pin 12v connector you need a new PSU because that is a requirement of today's hardware and it won't be doing anything without one. It provides power to the CPU. All boards with these (which is basically all of them these days) need it connecting otherwise the board won't POST.

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks Neil
The PSU did have a 4 pin 12v power adapter. It just has 2X 4pins, so it looks like 8 pins. I am assuming you just use half of it.

Thanks again for the reply

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The 8 pin connectors are becoming common on newer boards but in theory you should be able to get away with 4 pin connectors where needed.
What brand and model PSU do you have please?

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a Cosair. The 8 pin is just 2 four pin connectors side by side. When attached I will just a bit of overhang.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Having Googled the PSU model in the other thread, the 8 pin block should be separable into two blocks of four.