Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power to Box

• Please log in to reply

MattTrax

MattTrax

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First post here, so forgive me if I don't post any information that might be necessary.

I've built computers before, but wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch. Just someone who can follow directions.

Bought new components to build a second computer. Decided to switch current one into a new case and put new components in the old case. And now neither one of them will power up. No spinning fans, no drives working. Although sometimes I can hear a whine coming from what appears to be the new power supply. The old power supply whines when I turn it off from the back. I'd hate to think the old one failed and the new one didn't work, all at the same time.

Connections from the case are hooked up to the motherboard as described in the manuals for each motherboard. Same with CPU, Memory, and 1 hard drive on each. I've stripped it down to the minimum just to try to get them up and going.

Old Box: (Been a long time so don't remember it all)
Case: Don't remember
Motherboard: ECS C51GM-M v1.0
CPU: AMD 3800 (I think)
Memory: 2x512 PNY DDR2
Hard Drive: Western Digital 160GB

New Box:
Case: Apevia Disconver AL/420
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM
CPU: AMD A64 x2 4800+
Memory: 2x1GB Corsair DDR2 800
Hard Drive: Maxtor 500GB

I've swapped power supplies between the two, hard drives, done everything I can to eliminate problems, but I'm at a loss. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well that was clever wasn't it? :)
You have checked the obvious that the fuses in the power leads haven't blown, that the PSU is switched on and that it is actually plugged in? The obvious is usually the problem.
Or failing that, leave it all alone and go to bed. You'll probably find the problem straight off in the morning.

fdriller9

fdriller9

• Pip
  • 7 posts
maybe you connected the power switch wire wrong try switching it around...i never knew which one was positive or negative so i just did trial and error with it

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

maybe you connected the power switch wire wrong try switching it around...i never knew which one was positive or negative so i just did trial and error with it

The power switch can be connected either way round, it doesn't matter.
You can prove this to yourself by using a screwdriver to short the jumpers. Try finding the positive and negative on that :)