Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network drive & network with both XP & Vista PC's?

• Please log in to reply

Keith M in AZ

Keith M in AZ

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
We have an XP machine and a Vista machine connected to a Linksys Wifi router. I would like to add a network drive to the network for backup. Specifically, I have been considering the LaCie 301259 redundant drive. I emailed them and asked if this would be a problem. They answered promptly (which is more than I can say for their competitor) with the following:

"Unfortunately no, the drive will not be able to be accessed using both of those operating systems at the same time. It will either need to be formated for one or the other."

Is there a way that I can add a network drive (preferably redundant one) to our network that both machines can access?

thanks

Keith

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Keith,

I'm not sure how these drives work, but I believe Vista and XP are both formatted in NTFS thus both systems should be able to access it.
Don't pin me down on this, I haven't actually worked with network drives, but to me it sounds a bit odd.
(Going to do a bit more research on this.)

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 15 June 2008 - 03:45 AM.