Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apparently Infected

• Please log in to reply

Idyll6

Idyll6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Three .TMP files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp cannot be deleted. They are: ZLT04104.TMP, ZLT05689.TMP, and Perflib_Perfdata_454.

I was told by Dell, the maker of my laptop, that these are possibly worms or some other kind of spyware. I believe there may also be other types of malware are on my computer. I also have reason to believe all my activity (keystrokes, browsing, etc.) is being monitored. This has to do with an individual wanting to monitor all my activity for about a year now, and I want to stop this for good. My OS became so unstable that I had to re-load Windows at the beginning of March 2008 but the infections have re-activated themselves. I have an external hard drive that holds my documents and my music files, but not my program files (they're on the C drive).

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite (Pro) as my firewall, which includes AV & AntiSpyware. I also manually run the free versions of Previx CSI, Ad Aware, CW Shredder and Rogue Remover (although I rarely use IE). I use Firefox. I've tried several times to download Spybot S & D, but when I get all the way to the end of the installation, I always get this File Download error message: "Error Sending Request. A Connection to the Server Could Not Be Established." I tried about 9 different mirror sites. I have not tried to use "Hijack This". I also use Anonymizer for browsing and for (supposedly) secure e-mail.

I'm hardwired into a Comcast modem. I'm most likely risking even this post as being monitored, but I really need help! I'm considering going to the police, but I don't know how to claim proof that I'm being monitored by an individual, especially since I've re-installed Windows. Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but I did find out that - for sure - my e-mails were being intercepted last year, and where they were being sent. This person was supposedly warned by the agency that discovered the intercepted activity, but I'm still being monitored today. Also, several other types of suspicious activity have happened when I've been online.

How can I completely clean and secure my computer? Is that possible these days? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements