Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, XP Pro CD doesn't boot, blinking cursor error!

• Please log in to reply

Pavel Spirine

Pavel Spirine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm not a beginner when it comes to computers but am quite stumped by what's going on and would like an opinion from some experts!

I recently acquired a Samsung X25 Laptop (1.86 Celeron M processor).
I got it without a hard drive or RAM.

So I tried to start it up (from battery as I'm waiting for a power supply, should have it in a few days). All the lights turned on, but the screen didn't and nothing happened.
I then got some DDR 2 ram for it (1GB) and put it in. Turned it on and hey presto the CD drive made some whiny noises, and the BIOS screen came up. In setup (F2) it recognized the ram and showed the CD/DVD Rom.

Before going out and buying a new hard drive for it (and using the laptop), I figured I'd try it with one of my USB 2.5" drives.

The 80GB 2.5" drive wasn't erased, and was formatted as FAT32. I put it in and the laptop wouldn't go past the bios screen. I then changed the jumper on the hard drive from 'Cable Select' to 'Master', and the laptop recognized it in setup, but wouldn't do anything else, and just had a blinking cursor.

I have a XP Pro (SP2) installation CD so put that in, and it will not boot. CD Drive is recognized in setup, and is set to be the first booting device (followed by removable media and then hard drives). Yet the computer doesn't boot from CD, it's almost like it doesn't recognize it.
The CD is fine since my Intel macbook boots from it.

So I figured there was something wrong with the hard drive so I backed everyhting up, and formatted it to NTFS. Put it in and the computer wouldn't even recognize it in setup, and I got a 'Operating system not found' error.
So I tried to reformat it to FAT32 again, and it still says 'Operating system not found'
I went into setup and changed the primary hard drive settings from "Auto" to "user" (Other options were removable ATAPI drive, CD/DVD-ROM etc.) and upon restarting it recognized the hard drive as "80062MB" or something like that (whereas before formatting it recognized it as a different name). Now that it's recognized it I get just a blinking error after the BIOS again. The CD still won't boot.

I have tried booting it from a USB stick (on which I installed XP) in which case it says Invalid Drive, and I have also tried to install XP onto the laptop's hard drive via USB on my macbook, but in XP Install when I select it it says "this hard drive cannot be accessed for installation etc. etc. etc.".
Yet upon plugging the hard drive back into its USB enclosure it works absolutely fine in mac and windows (on my macbook) for both reading and writing.

So what is wrong with the samsung? Could it be that the CD drive is broken? How would I check it? Alternatively if the CD drive is fine why is it not booting from the XP CD?

I really appreciate any help and apologize if my post is mind-numingly boring and long, I just tried to describe everything as best I could,

Thank you :)

Pavel

Advertisements

nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Pavel Spirine,

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS for CD first?
Have you checked the CD itself first for any damages or defects?
Do you have a Linux live CD? It could be used to test the drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a quick question...is the external usb drive 5400 rpm or 7200...

nigglesnush85 ..he already answered your first 2 suggestions...
but the linux live cd is a good one...I suggest unbuntu ....see if you can get unbuntu up and running..if you can then we will know the hard drive is ok

Pavel Spirine

Pavel Spirine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The hard drive is 5400rpm.

Why would the Linux Live CD boot when the XP one wouldnt? It's definitely not a problem with the CD since I've tried two different ones and they both work on another computer. It's almost like the disk drive is defective but I can't test it other than that it's recognizing it in BIOS and spinning with a light blinking!

Thanks,
Pavel

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the unbutu won't load at all we will know its the cd drive thats the problem...and for a laptop that can be spendy to replace if its proprietary...another to try is puppy linux it will load and run totally in ram and if your bios supports booting from usb...you can get a usb flash drive and load puppy from it...