Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching hard drives

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
So my friend gave me his old computer, which is still better than mine, without the hard drive. It has a faster processor, etc. I want to take the hard drive from my old computer, which is a Dell, to the one he gave me, an HP. I know I need to get the new drivers for it to work. But is this possible? And if so, how do I go about doing it? The computer he gave me has an Athlon processor, while my old one is an Intel. I don't know if that'll make a difference. Thanks.

Also, I don't have any recovery disks, etc that came with the new computer.

Edited by Compnoobie, 14 June 2008 - 09:43 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Recovery disks only work on the computer they came with.
You would need to obtain an XP CD (Home or Pro depending on the licence that's stuck to the case) and do a Windows Repair on it. You can't just put your hard drive on a new computer and expect it to work as it'll be expecting the old hardware and will panic on the new one with the old configuration.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Recovery disks only work on the computer they came with.
You would need to obtain an XP CD (Home or Pro depending on the licence that's stuck to the case) and do a Windows Repair on it. You can't just put your hard drive on a new computer and expect it to work as it'll be expecting the old hardware and will panic on the new one with the old configuration.

Even if he does that he will still have the old windows key in the system no? That and Doesn't Windows require reactivation after changing 3 or 4 hardware components as is?

Do you have a retail copy of xp? If not obtain it then back up the files on your hd in your old computer (either to the web, external drive, cd, dvd, etc) Then put the hd in your new computer and (I would recommend a clean install after backing up the data) But you can try to repair XP as well (as stated by Neil Jones)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With most OEM preinstallations it doesn't take much to trigger a reactivation - a new motherboard will most definitely want reactivation.
When the OP repairs Windows he or she will need to use the key on the side of the case - the VLK key that's already in use will not activate by internet or phone so it'll have to be changed anyway. The key itself is irrelevant, more the fact it's tied to specific hardware stops just switching the drives.