Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100

• Please log in to reply

Donnis

Donnis

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to solve a problem with the wireless device of my Acer Travelmate 291i: I have installed the drivers from the Acer's site, but in the properties of the device (in device manager) it says "This device cannot start" and "Error code 10"! I've also tried to install the drivers from the Intel website but with the same result! If I uninstall the drivers, I see that in the device manager, under "other devices" is listed a "Network controler" which is in error (the yellow question-sign). I don't know what to do anymore... Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Code 10 errors are usually caused by your using the wrong driver.
http://support.micro....com/kb/943104/ might be of interest.

Donnis

Donnis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have tried many times with different types of drivers - no success. Finally I bought a new wireless card, a Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg mini PCI. I have replaced the 2100 card with the new one, restarted, and: at least now windows recognize the exact type of the wireless card and installs the drivers for it, but finally the result is the same: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"! I have also re-installed Windows using the recovery CDs, cause I thought the registries could be "overloaded" after so many attempts with the old card. I took out the new card a few times and put it back again, thinking that there is a week contact. All these actions have had no result, the error talking about "Code 10" is still there...
Please help me with an advice / idea cause I really don't know what to try further.

Thank you in advance!

Donnis

benathand

benathand

• Pip
  • 1 posts
did u manage to find a fix for this problem as i have the same issue. cheers.

x3po

x3po

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have tried many times with different types of drivers - no success. Finally I bought a new wireless card, a Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg mini PCI. I have replaced the 2100 card with the new one, restarted, and: at least now windows recognize the exact type of the wireless card and installs the drivers for it, but finally the result is the same: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"! I have also re-installed Windows using the recovery CDs, cause I thought the registries could be "overloaded" after so many attempts with the old card. I took out the new card a few times and put it back again, thinking that there is a week contact. All these actions have had no result, the error talking about "Code 10" is still there...
Please help me with an advice / idea cause I really don't know what to try further.

Thank you in advance!

Donnis

I have exactly the same problem! I did almost the same things to solve this problem but no success!
My intel pro wireless 2200bg card has a yellow exclamation mark on it and windows xp says "this device cannot start (code 10)".
I bought a new intel 2200bg card, I install windows xp again and I installed new 2200bg card into my laptop but no success again!
So, after all I think I will be using a USB wireless stick instead of my notebook's wireless card :)
I think this error is NOT related to wlan card driver or to any software error etc.
It should be a hardware error of any other part in my notebook and I think it affects wlan card, I don't know what other hardware it is but it can be a control chip or something like that. It should be broken so wlan card can not start...
Any help or any other ideas?