Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 PCMCIA detection problem

• Please log in to reply

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I've been using a wireless PCMCIA card for a while (108Mbps Wireless CardBus PC Card 802.11b/g (SWLC-54108)) on a Dell Latitude CPT. While placing the laptop down on a table yesterday, Windows 98 SE 'disconnected' the card from the OS even though it was still in the slot. Now Windows 98 SE will not detect the card no matter what slot I put it in.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the card that came on the CD with it and have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the PCMCIA Cardbus Slot with no success.

When going into the Windows 98 SE 'Help' feature to run the PCMCIA wizard, it says it is not installed. Most confusing! Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The card has been tested and works in another Laptop.

Edited by AlexR, 28 April 2005 - 02:16 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go to device manager, any yellow !s ?

If not, select the PCMCIA device and remove/delete, then reboot your machine

AlexR

AlexR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Nope, all clear i'm afraid. I've checked that the PCMCIA slots are 32-bit enabled (they are) and even running a manual install of the drivers through add/remove harware does not work. I;ve got a feeling that some dll's or inf files are lurking somewhere telling windows that the card is still there so won't re-detect it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you select and remove?

AlexR

AlexR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Yup, PCMCIA slots have been removed, rebooted & reinstalled. Done that for everything too. I just don't understand why Windows won't detect the card when it's in the slot. I've checked the BIOS for and PCMCIA power settings and nothing there, even updated the BIOS via Dell's website to the latest version and still nothing there for PCI or PCMCIA settings. I might just go with a fresh install of Windows, if that doesn't work, I guess it's a hardware problem, not OS.