Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network !

• Please log in to reply

Wishazu

Wishazu

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
im trying to connect to my wireless network, i can find it through the windows network finder thing... then i goto connect to it and it just says "waiting for network" for an age, then doesnt connect...

i tried going through my netgear software too, the same thing happens, it can find the network then i press connect and nothing happens, it just takes me back to the main screen of the software.

ive also turned security off so passwords and what not wouldn't stop it connecting.

any ideas??

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
the machine you're trying to connect with, does it have a firewall?
If so, make sure it's set up correctly so that it accepts that network.

What Operating system are you running?
Try to give us as detailed information as possible as we can only work with the information you give us.

Regards,
Olrik

Wishazu

Wishazu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
erm... im using a windows xp home edition on both computers, im trying to connect to a sagem router using a netgear wireless adaptor, and im using sky broadband

there's not much more information i can give really, everything works as usual until i click connect to the wireless network, then nothing happens at all, its so frustrating because there's no error message to look up or anything.

thanks, Ryan

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Are you using the correct Security Code?
Have you tried turning your firewall off temporarily to see if that caused the problem?

Lets see if you have any errors in the event viewer.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "eventvwr".
  • When the window pops up. Go to the system log.
  • Look for red circles with "X"s in them around the time of error.
  • Once you've opened the error press the button to the right with the 2 papers on it. (under the 'down' arrow)
  • Please attach the information you just copied onto your next reply.

I'm trying some really basic troubleshooting to see if we can find an error message of some sort.

Regards,
Olrik

Wishazu

Wishazu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the majority of the error messages on the log just say : windows could not find specified file. im not sure if that's to do with wireless or not.

i have a feeling it might be the range of the new router because the new one only picks up on it every now and again ill try and set it up closer to the router and see what happens.

Wishazu

Wishazu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
that doesnt seem to be the problem, i moved it closer to the router and still the same problem, just wont connect... anyone got any ideas?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Wishazu,

A few more questions,
What OS are you using?
How old is the router you're using?

Regards,
Olrik