Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inconsistent Video Issue

• Please log in to reply

flyinchiefsfan

flyinchiefsfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For the past 2 weeks or so, my computer has had a strange issue. One day, I came in to find a message on screen that stated something to the effect of ''Your video driver stopped responding''. I clicked on and had to power off the computer manually. I restarted and everything seemed fine. Awhile later, I returned to my office to find what looked like lines rolling up and down the screen like on old televisions, but they were frozen. Again, I had to turn it off manually.

I decided to upgrade my video drivers and did so thru the nvidia website, but the problem still exists. It would only do it after my screensaver had started, so I switched to a different screensaver and that seemed to fix the issue. However, I found that I can force the problem and here's how: When I try to play videos from the web, the screen will blink repeatedly and if i allow it to go long enough, it will stop and the video will quit completely to the point my monitor will show ''no signal'' and I'll have to restart manually. Strangely enough, if I watch videos embedded thru the web, it seems to work just fine. It's only when they download to the computer that I have any trouble.

Also, if I open the Nvidia control window, it will do the same thing while on the 3d settings tab. I can switch to other tabs and it works just fine.

This really seems to be to be software or settings related, but I can't seem to find a setting to fix the problem. I've virus checked, defragged, and all the basic steps and nothing. I've changed monitor refresh rates and it doesn't change.

Any ideas on anything else I can try??

Advertisements