Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive not detected

• Please log in to reply

Phrank

Phrank

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I recently installed a Geforce 7800, and it seemed to work fine for a while. However, for the past 2 or 3 days, when I turn my computer on I get an intel auto boot thing instead of it going into windows. I can enter setup with f1, but hitting f4 or f8 will not start safe mode or boot options. I did not alter anything in setup, but looking around it seems that my hard drive is no longer being detected. Oddly enough, after a couple restarts yesterday windows DID load, and I was able to use my computer normally for about 2 hours. Then it froze, and I got a blue screen: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. After a few more reboots, windows would load, and shortly after lock up with the same error message or a similar one: fatal error. Now, it is back to the original hard drive not being detected. The only thing I know I did differently a few days ago was attempt to update the video card drivers. I have an older gateway, with intel p3, 756 RAM, 40GB seagate hard drive, and a sufficient power supply (400W?). Any ideas before I go Neoluddite?
Thanks,
phrank

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well could be that the power supply isn't as great as it claims and is having trouble keeping up... it could also be that your hard drive happens to be dying... Go to seagate and download seatools and test your drive... may want to back up anything important now though...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm with shard92, if you put in a much faster video card make sure your power supply is up to the task. The better built supplies will shut down or limit the current instead of burning out.