Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost password for log-In

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

twright

twright

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Folks
My wife has changed password.
I have downloaded many web instructions but no result.
please reply and I'll send screen shots.

Even in safe mode it goes back to log-in screen
HELP

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi twright,

Welcome to geeks to go.... If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Mircosoft article:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
BHowett's instructions are the best that we can give.

Although your intentions may be to log onto your own computer, others you read any instructions posted in this thread may have less than honorable intentions. Due to not being able to confirm if a person has legal access to the computer system, GeeksToGo has instituted a policy of not helping bypass passwords.

If after reading BHowett's response you are still unable to log on (and your wife won't tell you the password), I recommend that you take the computer to a local computer shop, who should be able to assist you further.

I hope you understand the reasonings in which we have instituted this policy. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or any other member of the administator/moderator team.

-Ryan