Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel ProSet / Wireless Question

• Please log in to reply

JamesN

JamesN

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

My girlfriend just had her computer repaired and since she has gotten it back she is not able to connect to our wireless network. I've tried many different things to get it working and none have worked.

When she got the computer back I noticed a new program that I had never seen before on her computer, it was Intel ProSet / Wireless. We brought it back to the place that repaired it and they were able to connect to their wireless network through her computer using this program, but it absolutely will not connect to our network. We've reset the router and tried all the common fixes.

I've also tried disabling Intel ProSet and connecting through the Windows wireless manager, but that didn't work. It can't be our network because my internet is working fine.

Any suggestions or possible fixes to this problem? She's running Windows XP. If any more information is needed in order to determine the problem please let me know.

Thank you,
James

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your internet may be working fine but are you wireless?
The symptoms do point to an issue with the network, do you have any security on the network that may be interferring? MAC filtering, for example?

JamesN

JamesN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My landlord manages the network, and their is a security key in order to access it. But I am connecting to the internet through the wireless connection on my laptop. Another weird thing that happens is when we use the windows wireless manager on her computer, we try to connect to the network but after we enter the password and it starts acquiring the network, it stops and then the network disappears from the list.

When we try to connect through Intel Proset wireless, it just stays in "connecting..." but never actually connects to the network.

Thanks.

JamesN

JamesN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There is a "connectivity doctor" on her computer, one of the possible solutions they provide in there says "Check the settings for your wireless communication network to be sure that the same network name (SSID) and network key (WEP) are used for the Access Point and the wireless PC or devices. These settings are case sensitive."

I've tried but I have no idea how to correct what they mean by this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
The SSID and WEP key are like (actually they are) wireless security features. You should ask your landlord about the correct settings to use for his wireless network.