Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow HP Officejet 6210

• Please log in to reply

Rex Manning

Rex Manning

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,

Recently, my HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One machine has been painfully slow when printing. I'd estimate somewhere in the 10 minutes per page range, and that may be a low estimate. It may have coincided with the purchase of a new computer with Vista, but I'm not sure that's the sole issue.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the machine, and updated to the Vista drivers.

Any suggestions as to how I can speed this thing up?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm actually fairly familiar with the 6210, although not with running one from Vista.

What happens if you use the printer as a standalone copier? Does it take just as long to print then or is it much faster?
Can you try a self-test - Press the setup button on the printer, followed by options 2, then 5. This will print a self test report. The point of this is not so much that the report itself might be useful but rather as a test of printing speed. Does it still take 10 minutes to print the report?

Rex Manning

Rex Manning

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Samm,

Thanks for your help. I did a test using the copy function as well as the self-test function. Both are also exceptionally slow. The copy was more than 10 minutes (I stopped waiting for it around that point) and the self-test is still going and it's been nearly 10 minutes.

Glad to hear you're familiar with the printer. Hopefully you'll be able to provide some insight.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, it looks like the cause of the problem could be the printer's paper sensor. See the link below to HP's advice on this subject (the bit on paper sensors is at the bottom of the page). You could try the 'fix' that HP suggest but I doubt it will make any difference as the problem looks like it's with the printer itself instead of the software.

Link to HP article

If it IS the sensor, then I suspect you're looking at a new printer unless you can find someone to repair it cheaply.