Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing xp E: (physical) then booting from E

• Please log in to reply

rosscoe3

rosscoe3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my problem is that i have 3 hard drives E: is the biggest and has heaps of space on it - c: is a pain in the neck and keeps filling up all the time, can i install xp on e: then boot from or is there another answer. if it means fdisking e: i dont mind starting from scratch as most things are recoverable and there is nothing like a clean sheet. i had a go at xxcopy but it froze. any help would be much appreciated. regards ross :)

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
If you are going to fdisk E you might as well start a clean install, download any drivers you need first disconnect the other two drives, you can delete any partitions and reformat the drive with the xp disk, do a clean install update the drivers and install any software.

Add one drive at a time as a slave copy any data over to the new drive one at a time then reformat the other two drives. Move any data back or leave them out if they are not needed or are two small.

Note:
Is the XP disk a bootable one not a recovery disk. As you may have a hidden restore partition

You could also use cloning software ie PQ magic or Norton Ghost

ps
change boot order in BIOS to Cdrom first