Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP using back button goes back forward

• Please log in to reply

crlin

crlin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I know this problem is strange, but my previous post did not get any answers so I will try to restate the problem in case anyone has run into this. I have Win XP sp2 I can click forward in my browser and in my folders with no problem, but when I use the back button it goes back and instantly starts going forward. It does this in IE as well as in my folders so I don't think it is a browser problem. Don't know what else you need to know, but let me know if further information could help. Sometimes it is ok, but other times it drives me crazy! Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For this you will need your windows installation CD. Click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press Enter. When asked, insert the CD to the drive and let the process run to the end.

crlin

crlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your reply! Will doing this remove anything on my drive?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Not at all. Nothing will be lost.

crlin

crlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks! Will give it a try.

crlin

crlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, tried the system file checker as recommended. It had a screen saying "wait while Windows verifies that all protected Win files are intact & in their original version". After this finished it disappeared off the screen and that was all. It never asked for the Win CD. I tried running it in safe mode and it would not run there. Was this all it was supposed to do? I still have the same problem! I even tried reinstalling the mouse and that was no help. Thanks!!