Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blinking cursor on startup

• Please log in to reply

MMBosstones86

MMBosstones86

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So microsoft decided to update my computer while i was at lunch and restarted. I arrive to the login screen, and upon loading, it locks up on my desktop. So, i shrug it off and hold the power and restart. upon powering up it flashes black then immediatly goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. As far as I know I can't get into any BIOS screens or set up screens.

It loaded up to the configuration screen once and i choose 'last known good configuration' and it locked up on the Windows logo screen. I restarted and the same thing happened.

I'm at work right now, so I don't have any of my dell cds to give those a shot. Does anyone know how to fix this?? Thanks

Advertisements

MMBosstones86

MMBosstones86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
been blinking for an hour now with nothing...i've been going through the other posts about this problem and havn't found anything that can help me yet

MMBosstones86

MMBosstones86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so i found that the longer i leave my computer off...the longer it takes to lock up. I left it off for about and hour and got into the diagnostic tool and started to run it when it locked up. Guess i'll have to wait until i get home unless someone can help me out...

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi MMBosstones86,

Take out the battery and turn on the computer with no power input for 10 to 20 seconds, for several times. Then, reconnect the power and turn it on again.

Regards,

MMBosstones86

MMBosstones86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so let me try to understand what you mean -

take out the battery, but leave the power cord plugged in
turn on the computer for 10-20 seconds and then turn it off
repeat?

i'm not sure what this does?

Thanks

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Folow my instructions :

Take out the battery
Turn on the computer for 10 to 20 seconds
Turn off the computer for 60 seconds
Do this several times.
Take in the battery
Turn on computer

Regards,

MMBosstones86

MMBosstones86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So i can make progress....eventually i can get to the dell screen...tried to boot from the windows cd and it eventually locks up.

once I got all the way through and booted to safe mode, ran chkdsk....it finished and locked up.

I just don't know what windows could have updated to make this happen all of a sudden.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can ever get it booted again then use system restore...go back before the update...
for the future...set your system to notify you there are updates but not to download or install them...
then create a restore point just prior to getting the updates...I advise all my clients to let the updates set for a couple of days before installing them