The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
- SUPERAntiSpyware - A powerful tool which can search and annihilate malware that makes its way onto your system.
- AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
- Avast! Anti-Virus - A free for home use anti-virus program.
- ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
- JKDefrag - A disk defragmenter and optimizer for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista. It is completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead and has several optimization strategies. After downloading the zip file, just extract JKDefrag.exe to your desktop and double click.
- Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
- Pidgin - A Malware free Instant Messenger program which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN, MyspaceIM, GTalk)