Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe missing! there are no desktop icons, no start menu, e

• Please log in to reply

ali.g

ali.g

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys please help me out, i think explorer.exe is missing, ive tried simply runniong it in windows task manager and it says "windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'"
what do i do, ive tried system restore utility, but that didnt work, ive tried some fixO,didnt work. i tried scanning the computer using ahh windows file protection. just stuff i read from googling.
plz help out ppl

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Since this is in the XP section i will guess you are running XP.

You will need to do a repair install of Windows XP.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Cheers,
Mak

Edited by Makaveli213, 21 June 2008 - 06:40 AM.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
WINDOWS EXPLORER PROBLEM

Getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Old Geezer,

If i am reading his post correctly he states that trying to run explorer.exe from the Task Manager produces the Error:

windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'

Which means that your fix will not help. Sorry.

Cheers,
Mak :)

ali.g

ali.g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey thanks for the reply, thats right, just starting explorer.exe didnt work, i have tried it before.
i hvaent tried the repair, just one question. what if i dont actually have the cd, i was actually just given the computer as a gift.
i dont know anything about any cd. i had it reformated once, if that helps. ahh yh basically i dont have the c.d. so what exactly can i do?
and one more question if you could answer. how exactly does the whole windows package work, i mean if i wanted to get windows on a new computer
id go and buy a new package? right? or whatever you call it, then what id have to install it. what if a copied one has been instaled onto your computer.
can you still use some sort of c.d??
i really dont know much about this stuff. any information would be great.
thanks again

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You will be repairing XP and not re-installing XP. If you can borrow a CD from a friend, that will work. It needs to be of the same OS (XP home or XP pro).

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Old Geezer,

If i am reading his post correctly he states that trying to run explorer.exe from the Task Manager produces the Error:

windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'

Which means that your fix will not help. Sorry.

Cheers,
Mak :)

I see said the blind man.

PJudge

PJudge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this same problem. I have done everything I can think of to solve this, short of a complete swipe and re-install of windows.

I have tried Norton 360 and AVG as ways to scan a clean a virus. No luck.

I worked on this for hours with DELL support. They say it is a virus and they cannot do anything to help. They say to re-install Windows XP (Painful).

I have searched the net and tried all the suggestions I have seen (including the ones on this site). Does anyone have any suggestions for something that will work!

Thanks,

Paul

MewChloe

MewChloe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey I have same problem right now. Windows XP came with my computer so how do I reinstall it or fix it? Is there a website or something? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: MewChloe

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on this topic as it is a year old. This can cause you not to get assistance in a reasonable amount of time. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.