Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to open files and programs other than internet browser/cmd

• Please log in to reply

PaulT2

PaulT2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I deleted something. "cleaned" using regcleaner 4.3. This was a mistake. I was just using it to see what was there. It was a wow6432 node thing or something, and the description was also wow6432.

I can open regedit, but don't know if that solves anything. I have limited luck downloading and installing things to run, also. For some reason I'm able to do that.

I can open the command prompt, but don't know how to use it for anything positive.

I tried searching the forums for a similar issue but haven't found anything. I do not have a backup to use.

Is the only option reformatting?

Everything I try to run tells me theres no program associated with running the program I'm trying to run...

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
You need to to edit the registry manually by running regedit. Then go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node

Does ur key look like this one above.

Regards,

PaulT2

PaulT2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your response! I decided to do a fresh install of windows on a new partition after completely deleting the old. Formatted the new partition and loaded on in. Gonna start a bit differently this time. Hopefully I won't have these kind of problems again utilizing system restore, etc.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
One will have to be careful with any form of reg.cleaner's.

The potential damage doesn't warrant the possible gains.

Windows XP (Home or Pro.), and Vista doesn't need cleaning
of the registry. Only time where one should edit in the registry,
is when a situation of need calls for it.

If one absolutely have to investigate / alter the registry, a wise
course would be to download a registry backup program like
Erunt. (Note, that windows own backup utility is not good enough!)

Erunt

Some good reading about reg.cleaners.

LINK

Abydos

PaulT2

PaulT2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There's a good post on these forums somewhere about reg cleaners also.

Let this be a warning to any new users!

I've found some very nice utilities on this site by reccomendations, all with a free license.

I was wondering about a few, though.

Is there a superior option to DeepBurner that is free to use?

Paint.net is interesting and I do like SpywareBlaster/Guard.

I have downloaded and been using SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware as well as Avast, with it's various protections, but, as I found on my roommate's PC, these programs didn't seem to find everything. He didn't have SpywareBlaster/Guard installed at any point. Is there a combination that covers all the possibilities or do you pretty much need to run everything found here?

Along with my standby Opera, Winamp, and VLC media player. Does anyone reccomend better media players than either winamp or VLC?

This probably warranted a new topic or a bump in a new thread, or I could probably find this with more research of the forums, but it's hard to find a concentrated and consolidated thread like this that is also up to date.

I'll continue browsing these forums nevertheless, the resources are amazing.

Oh, and is Erunt 64-bit Vista compatible?

Edited by PaulT2, 23 June 2008 - 12:03 AM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Oh, and is Erunt 64-bit Vista compatible?

Yes.

Run it as administrator or turn of the UAC while using it.
And you should probably discard the option of backing
up on each boot.

Regards Abydos